Want to get a new Apple PowerBook for Logic... Need Help!!!

pisces7378

I am still on a PC with Logic Plat. 5.5.1

I want to upgrade to Logic 6 Pro as well as be able to use mobile technology for playing on stage and for live recordings with my MOTU 828mkII firewire interface. So I need a new laptop. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and get an Apple laptop for this so that I can upgrade to Logic Pro.

Now my only question is... do I wait or not? I have seen a lot of bubbleing in the Apple kettle these days with new releases/revisions. The 12" P.Book, the new iBook's on steroids etc... and someone recently told me that a "very reliable source" told him that Apple would be breaking out some new revisions of their PowerBooks. But he also said that those revisions would be out the 26th of January. Well the 26th came and went... NOTHING!

I am just aware that the fastest G4 PowerBook CPU clocks at only 1.33 gHz. That is pretty "slow" considering that I have a 2.8gHz Wintel machine. Now, I know all about the whole Apple vs. PC "gHz wars" with some saying that 1.33 gHz on a G4 is like 3.0 gHz on an Intel blah blah blah... and that may or may not be true.

I am just saying, I want Logic 6... I want OS X stability... I want PowerBook portability, and I want as fast a processor as I can buy. Does anyone know of any rumors for Apple to revamp their PowerBook line with like a 2.0 gHz G4 processor? Or ANY improvements to the line in the next 6 months?

pisces7378 said:
I am still on a PC with Logic Plat. 5.5.1

I want to upgrade to Logic 6 Pro as well as be able to use mobile technology for playing on stage and for live recordings with my MOTU 828mkII firewire interface. So I need a new laptop. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and get an Apple laptop for this so that I can upgrade to Logic Pro.

Now my only question is... do I wait or not? I have seen a lot of bubbleing in the Apple kettle these days with new releases/revisions. The 12" P.Book, the new iBook's on steroids etc... and someone recently told me that a "very reliable source" told him that Apple would be breaking out some new revisions of their PowerBooks. But he also said that those revisions would be out the 26th of January. Well the 26th came and went... NOTHING!

I am just aware that the fastest G4 PowerBook CPU clocks at only 1.33 gHz. That is pretty "slow" considering that I have a 2.8gHz Wintel machine. Now, I know all about the whole Apple vs. PC "gHz wars" with some saying that 1.33 gHz on a G4 is like 3.0 gHz on an Intel blah blah blah... and that may or may not be true.

I am just saying, I want Logic 6... I want OS X stability... I want PowerBook portability, and I want as fast a processor as I can buy. Does anyone know of any rumors for Apple to revamp their PowerBook line with like a 2.0 gHz G4 processor? Or ANY improvements to the line in the next 6 months?

Well, the 1.33Ghz G4 to a 3Ghz P4 comparo is a little generous towards the G4. But it's still a fantastic computer.

I'd get the iBook personally, I think that's more than enough.

Back