Vinyl to CD

Thrash

Hi All,

I've been recording some of my albums to .wav files and burning them to CD using Spin Doctor and everything works just fine.

My problem is on some albums the songs transition from one to another without any pauses in the music. I would like to have the music as one continuous stream but would like to insert indexes between the tracks so that it will show up in the TOC so I can skip to any track I want.

Is there any software out there that will allow me to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had similar problems, with Adaptec.
Try audiotools shareware at : www.btinternet.com
You can easily add markers with this one
and if you find it ok, the cost to register
is only £10 or $20.
Cheers
Tapani

I use Audio Tools and it's great.
http://www.btinternet.com/~amfish/

I registered it and now am able to correspond directly with the developer. He really tries to incorporate suggestions into each release. It's a great tool for taking vinyl LP's or cassette tapes to WAV files for CD burning.

What CD burning software do you use?

I think it should be possible to make the music playback continuously while still having track start/end points that you can skip to.

Just chop up the recorded lp into tracks without removing any data, then save these tracks in the right order. Load them up in the CD burning sftware, and before you write make sure disc-at-once is _on_ in the software configuration. In Sleezy CD Creator, you get the option in the advanced tab of the dialogue that appears when you click 'record'. Disk-at-once removes the 2 second pause between tracks, giving continuous play (I think).

Good luck,

matt

Thanks for the input. That Audiotools looks like the ticket for what I need. I'm going to download it this weekend and give it a try.

Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cakey2:
What CD burning software do you use?

I am new but people don't think much of Easy Creator 4. Can anybody tell me why?.. I actually want a good (Not necesarily proffesional)Music editor, so I can do some surgery on some of my favorite tracks. I don't like sharware stuff!.. I'd rather go with something more establised. You know what I mean. I bought EC4, and it's nice, but editor, I simply can not figure out, and the manual is useless... so I don't know.

ANY IDEAS, HINTS?

I think it should be possible to make the music playback continuously while still having track start/end points that you can skip to.

Just chop up the recorded lp into tracks without removing any data, then save these tracks in the right order. Load them up in the CD burning sftware, and before you write make sure disc-at-once is _on_ in the software configuration. In Sleezy CD Creator, you get the option in the advanced tab of the dialogue that appears when you click 'record'. Disk-at-once removes the 2 second pause between tracks, giving continuous play (I think).

Good luck,

Finally, I am finding people with the same things I am interested in. I alread bought the Easy cd creator 4 Deluxe..(hm), because I though was I needed to make CDs from LPs. And it does, but now I want o EDIT certain songs.. I would like to make them longer or even combine different rythms from different tracks. Not the editor in EC4, I just can't use it, and the manual it bearly skims through it. I would like perhaps a more robust type of software just to do this. ANY IDEAS? will be deeply appreciated.

matt
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am using Easy CD Creator 4 and find it to be just fine for me. I also gather that some people don't like it but I don't know why. From what I've seen on the net people like Nero.

As for the cut and paste for creating the tracks, I tried this but found it to be more of a pain than what it was worth. Navigating through the 300MB wave file with the editor that comes with Easy CD sucks. I looked at Cool Edit and this program is much better. Even so I want a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing and this Audiotools might be the answer.

Mark

Record your stuff using soundforge and do your editing there. You can get a copy of XP pretty cheep.

Just an update. I downloaded a copy of Cool Edit 2000 with the pop and hiss plug-in and so far so good. I recorded an album then processed it to remove the scratches.
I then got a copy of CDWave to split up the tracks. I must say that CDwave does a great job at this (much easier than cut and paste.

I previewed many portions of the wave and it sounded good so I burned the CD,(DAO). Next I will do an A-B comparison on my home system to see how well it all works.

I have read good things about Sound Forge and might give that a try next.

One question...The cartridge on my turntable is a low output moving magnet. When I record I have the gain set to max. The resulting output in the wave editor only peaks at maybe -8 to -6db. Do you think I should "normalise" the wave to get the max output without distortion? Or does this process degrade the signal to much to use?

Thrash,
I've got a Moving Magnet to Moving Coil box that works like a charm. Raises the MM level to that of a standard MC cartridge. Noise is respectable (as long as your ground is good, and no loops!). Stereo RCA in/out.
Hate to say it, but I got it from Radio Shack in their bargain bin for $5 (never had a use for it until lately - my amp has a MM/MC preamp built in). If you want the model # I can dig it up.
Also, I've been using Wave Corrector for a while - might want to give it a try. Good, simple click/pop filter with fairly interesting controls/display . http://www.ganymede.hemscott.net/wavecor.htm

[This message has been edited by teknomike (edited 06-06-2000).]

Back