Using my old soundcard in my new computer?

RockinRobert

I need some help. For years I have been using a Gadget Labs Wave 4/24 soundcard in my old computer. It works fantastic, and yes, I know Gadget Labs is out of buisness. Problem is, my old puter finally died, and when I went to install it in my new computer...I notice that it doesn't have the correct type slot for it, which I beleive is an ISA slot? The new one only has the PCI slots...smaller than the slot required for my Wave 4/24. So my question is, am I screwed as far as using the Gadget Labs card anymore? Is there some kind of adapter made to convert it? The details of my new computer are

Pentium 4 1.5 ghz
256mb ram
40gb HD
Windows XP

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If my card is not useable, can you reccomend a good card that works well with XP?

with a pc like that, you really should treat yourself to a new soundcard...even cheapo sound cards these days are going to have a lot more to offer than any ISA card. did your pc come with any onboard sound?

My new computer (Compaq) came with a generic sound system, called SoundMax. It just has a stereo input and it's self noise is around -40db. The Gadget Labs card was way, way lower than that. I need a quiet card for audio only, don't really need any of the fancy stuff, bells or whistles. Just a quality tool to get my audio into the computer. Is there a good basic card for under $300 these days? What about the Echo cards, some of them are nice, huh? Maybe I'll check them out. Thanks!

Hey Gidge, thanks a million! That sounds like just what I want. I haven't kept current with whats available out there, so I had no idea that it would be that cheap, especially with the breakout box included. I will start saving my pennies for one of those for sure. bOb

RockinRobert said:
My new computer (Compaq) came with a generic sound system, called SoundMax.? Maybe I'll check them out. Thanks!

I have a soundmax that came with my dell, its the worst sound card I've ever seen. It worse than most built in soundcards. Its not good enough to play games or even use winamp on...

Back