Using Audio Interface as FOH mixer during live performance

blasturd

Can a firewire audio interface such as the M-audio 1814 be used as a FOH mixer for a live performance. Is there latency, if so, is it going to be a major problem.

If it can be used in this way, can I also add individual effects (vst or otherwise) to each of the input channels?

I play in a band with 2 guitars, one bass, drummer, and singer. Was hoping to apply vocal effects to singer, and individual vst effects for the guitars, and then turn the drums all the way down (hehehe).

Thanks.

Chris

It can be done, yes. Realize however that it means carting your computer to the gig as well, and if you're wanting to run all those effects live, then you will need to get it around 5ms or less on the latency. I would test drive it in a practice and see if your computer is even up to the task. If it is, then you have to decide whether or not you want the extra strain on it constantly as well as the road time to and from and at the gig.

All that being said, I play keyboard and a little electric guitar in a band, and I use my laptop to trigger software synths and guitar effects. I'm still trying to get it all set up in a practical way, which is difficult at times.

Using with laptop.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, so the computer portability shouldn't be a problem. It's a 2.8 ghz pentium 4.

I'm just trying to get an estimate of the latency if I put effects on two vocal channels and two guitar channels.

Latency for a single input channel and a vst effect is pretty much nill right now, but I haven't tried multiple inputs.

It's hard to test by myself, cuz only the person playing the instrument, or singing would be able to feel the latency.

When you use effects live, it's alot like when you use effects in the mixing process. So if you've ever applied those types of effects to a vocal or guitars in an overall mix, that's what you can expect in this situation. You should be fine, just give it a shot at a practice or something and keep an eye on your CPU meter.

I have heard about this being done with a couple of ceamware cards. But honestly, I would never trust a computer with such a task. The risk of it going down is still too large IMHO.

If you are playing and mixing, it's going to be tough. You have to run mains and monitors from the stage, which is nearly impossible as it is, and be able to make changes quickly. I can't see where a PC would beat a mixer with outboard effects in that situation.

...and be able to make changes quickly.

Well, then you would need some sort of control surface connected to your pc. But this makes replacing the mixer by a pc a bit silly, doesn't it? So the only thing you have replaced are some outboard effect boxes by a pc with all its associated risks.

So far it seems to be working good, on two channels

Well, just tried it at the jamroom.

Used my m-audio 1814. Only tried two channels though right now.

One was the singers mic, and the other was my guitar. I used cubase to set up the effects.

I put some reverb on the vocals, which sounded great, and used Guitar Rig 2 on my guitar. Output the vocals in stereo to the FOH speakers, and the guitar to output 3 into the effects return on my Marshall 900.

It worked flawlessly, and the singer really loved having some effects again. My outboard effects unit died awhile back.

I guess the 4 line level outputs on the 1814 are my limiting factor right now. I only have one output left. I was wondering when the four output limit would come into play. But, if I had more mic preamps for vocals, they would all go to the stereo out into the FOH amps, but I can only add one more guitar.

But, I'm really happy with the results so far. Guitar Rig 2 sounded great on my Marshall amp and 4x12 cab. I was using a Rocktron Voodoo before, and didn't quite like the sound of it. I used to use my Marshall preamp for gain, but my tubes are getting old, and sound pretty bland right now.

Back