Upgrading PC from P3 to P4

Mr_pink_eyes

I have got a Dell Dimension 4100, Pentium 3, 866 Mhz, 512 MB RAM running Windows XP Pro. I’ve been trying to use this machine as a playback/ mixdown DAW with Sonar 2.2XL (I do all of my actual recording direct to disk on a Yamaha AW16 then export the tracks into Sonar).

I recently purchased a EMU 1212M sound card, thinking that It would help to enhance my performance on the PC by processing effects in the integrated DSP. However, performance hasn’t been improved, and Sonar actually freezes up when I play back even four measly tracks.

I’m guessing that my PC doesn’t have the required specs (though according to EMU’s minimum requirements, it should fit the bill), so I’m thinking of upgrading the motherboard to a P4, 2.8 ghz with about 1 GB Ram.

Is it possible to just swap out the motherboard and put in a new mobo/ processor, but keep the existing CD-RW drive, etc.? I’m expecting that there may be some compatibility issues, but I’d like to know anyone’s experiences with upgrading (or attempting to upgrade) to a P4 from a P3.

Any insight appreciated.

Mr Pink Eyes

I thought changing out parts in Dell was very problematic. Lots of proprietary hardware. Major hardware changes (i.e., changing motherboards and processors) will likely piss off Windows; you will probably be looking at a reformat and complete reinstall of all your software.

I'm guessing if you get any replies at all, at least someone will suggest just building a new PC from the ground up using a site like newegg.com. I myself am thinking of taking this route. Many people here have built great computers for less than $500 not including a monitor.

From what I've read on here and other boards, Dell = not upgradeable or expandable. :(

Main problem with Dells are the power supply. Hook it up to a regular ATX minboard and all it will do is go in to protection mode and possibly fry your new mainboard. The conector might physically be the same but it's electrically different. Most of newer Dells I've seen are also proprietary when it comes to where the back plate for the hookups is for the mainboard. You might be able to fit a board into the case but the back side might not line up till you take a dremel tool to it and cut it up a bit.
Basically if you wanna upgrade you can use some of your computer's guts (hard disk, floppy, cdrw, and vid card) in a new case with your new P4 mainboard and new DDR memory. You'll still save some money over buying a new computer if your hard disk is good enough. You almost might be better off selling the Dell as a complete machine to someone and using that money towards another machine. Draw backs of buying Dell as well as most big name PCs.

Back