Upgrade path opinions...

mikedaul

My current setup is an echo gina 24 along with an ezbus. I'm using the adat outs of the ezbus into the gina24 for a total of 10 channels at 24/44.1 and the ezbus as a control surface.

I'm growing tired of the idiosyncrasies of my setup and I'd like to upgrade to something a bit easier to use. I have for pres 2 audio buddies, 2 vtb1's and an art dual mp. I'd really like to do 8 channels at 24/96 and I'd like motorized faders.

2 options I'm think of are:

a) Layla 24 for conversion, mackie baby hui or mackie control for a control surface.

So this would leave me with using the pre's I've got for now, but hopefully I could in the future upgrade to something a bit nicer.

b) waiting for the new TASCAM FW-1884

I know this can do at least 8 channels of 24/96. However, it claims to have "18 simultaneous inputs". I'll assume 8 are adat. So can this do 12 channels of 24/96 at once? What about latency for virtual instruments?

Thanks for any feedback, etc.

Tascam FW-1884

I too am interested in the 1884. There are 8 analog inputs, 8 line inputs, as well as ADAT, TOSlink and SP/DIF. I'm interested in finding out if anyone else has seen or played with one of these yet.

FW-1884 User Impressions

Well I'm a new user of the TASCAM FW-1884 control surface, so I guess I'll share some thoughts with everyone on the unit. I've had the unit for 1 week, and have had a fair amount of time to form some personal opinions on it.
First my equipment:
Pentium IV 1.8 GHZ processor ASUS mobo
1 GIG of memory
2 80 GIG hard drives 7200rpm each
This computer has served me well. Solely dedicated to audio, and tweaked accordingly.
SONAR 2.2 and SOUNDFORGE 5.0f application software

The control surface can act as 3 units, either separately or together.
1. Control surface to control application software inside a DAW. (like SONAR)
2. Stand alone mixer with 18 inputs and 2 outputs. (actually up to 8 outputs, so surround can be mixed, but I do not use it for that.) 8 analog, 8 digital, 2 SPDIF
3. A 4 in 4 out MIDI controller

I obsoleted the following equipment in my studio.
MOTU XT Express 8 in 8 out MIDI controller
PRESONUS Digimax 8 channel mic pre-amp
1 48 point patchbay
MOTU 2804 MKII sound card. (at least as far as SONAR is concerned. I do still have the sound card in the rack and computer to control WINDOWS Media Player 9, (CD player) and SOUNDFORGE playback.)

So the unit does a lot.

I have used it to control SONAR 2.2. I REALLY like it for mix down. It controls 8 audio and/or MIDI channels simultaneously. If you have more channels, you have to hit the bank button to switch to the next bank of 8 faders. Haven't found this to be a draw back yet, because I usually mix down the drum kit first, and bounce it to one track, then bass, then instruments, then vocal, so I have enough faders to handle the mix job. A side box of 8 more faders is going to become available shortly, so you could control 16 channels at one time. I'm going to wait on that until I'm sure I have a need to control 16 channels at one time. It cuts down on mouse work easily by half or more.
The transport controls work the same as SONAR, except they are faster and easier to get at. Play, Rewind, Fast Forward, and Record, are very straight forward.
The jog/shuttle wheel is very nice for precise placement of NOW TIME for any editing you may want to do. Much faster to be very accurate with cursor placement as opposed to the mouse.
It controls only one effect I know of so far, and that is the SONAR FXEQ, but controls the AUX send gain up to 8 AUX Busses. NOW TIME, LOOPING, and MARKERS can all be set with one touch of a button. ENTER is the F7 key, and accepts any request from SONAR the same as the keyboard enter key does.
That's about all I've tried on the SONAR control side. There is more to look at, especially programming additional keys, but I haven't gone there yet.

Stand alone mode
Works fine as a stand alone mixer. Works just as you would expect an analog mixer to work, except there are no channel EQ's. So if you have a need for EQ during playback, this doesn't have it. Also, remember that the unit is connected to the computer via firewire at all times, so it uses the default setting from anything you try to play back off the computer. I had to change the Media Player 9 setting to output to the MOTU sound card, which is patched to the input of the FW-1884 so the faders will control the channel volume. Otherwise the unit thinks it is monitoring, and will only allow control off the monitor volume control. Otherwise an adequate mixer, but no aux or eq on the channels.

MIDI controller
Controls my keyboard, and Roland JV1080, both for recording and playback. Works just as any MIDI controller would work, with the added advantage of controlling volume and Velocity via the faders. Pretty cool.
I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with this yet, so there will be more discoveries in the future I'm sure

Impressions.
1. It's great for mixing in SONAR. MUCH faster than a mouse, and editing with the jog wheel is faster, and just as accurate as the mouse.
2. Recording and monitoring are very good. Zero latency with monitoring input, and play back while recording. I had no problems
3. Midi control is very good, but nothing more than a good midi interface would do. Not quite as versatile as the MOTU XT express, but adequate for me. Heavy MIDI users may have a different outlook on that.
4. It's adequate as a stand alone mixer, however, it doesn't have the channel control of even basic mixers, so if you need that you will be disappointed.

Goods:
Helps speed up the mixing process by eliminating the mouse work. Very nice

Replaced my big mixer giving me more desk space in the studio

AD/DA converters seem ok to my ears. No better or worse than my PRESONUS Digimax or the MOTU MKII.

Supports digital input/output, so I'm covered using my FOSTEX D-160 for remote recording, and then flying tracks to SONAR

Has analog inserts so you can use rack mounted gear to add to the recorded signal. (reverbs, compressors, eq units)

Neutrals:

MIDI control doesn't offer anything more than a good MIDI interface. In fact the programming of the input and output channels is a bit more limited than the MOTU XT Express

Stand alone mixer is adequate, but leaves a bit to be desired in the channel strip department

Not so goods:

I have had some audio drop outs. I will admit to maybe having some operator error here with buffer size and latency setups. I haven't played with this too much yet, so I mention it with that caveat.

This is overall a very good unit. It is worth the $1300 bucks I paid for it, to me. It is not for newbies. (at least newbies without help) Signal flow and set up must be clearly understood, or it will give you fits. Particularly if you want to use it as a stand alone mixer as well as a control surface. The control surface was the easiest part to set up. The stand alone mixer, (working separate from the computer, even though the unit is hooked up to the computer at all times, (read signal routing)) was a bit tricky within the software applications on the DAW.
I have only had a week with it, and am learning more all the time, but this is my initial take. So far so good.

pushed...

sup people

i too am looking at the fw 1884 closely from a distance :D

so Hornplayer anymore discoveries
like can it be used to triggered two midi devices e.g. synth and a drum machines

thanks

4 X 4 midi

I'm not sure if I understand your inquiry. The FW-1884 does have 4 midi ports input and 4 midi ports output, with each port having 16 channels.

So yes you can hook up a synth to one port and a drum machine to another port and run them both.

As far as triggering, yes if you route the synth input to the drum machine output, the synth can trigger the drum machine, but the unit cannot trigger any midi. It can just route midi data. The FW-1884 midi software will allow for routing between the ports.

Also go to the TASCAM web site, www.tascam.com, (link below) and download the user manual in pdf format. That will help with a lot of questions also.

Hope that helps.

John ;) TASCAM WEB SITE

thanks man

i was asking about triggering because the unit has some media button i.e play stop rewind...

btw how are the pres on the FW compare to the PRESONUS

pre's ok

To my ears the mic pre's are ok. Sounded as good as my MOTU MKII 2408 or the Presonus.

I really don't record that way though. I send the signal through a LUCID AD9624 from the mic pre and then to the FW-1884 via lightpipe, so the signal stays digital, all clocked by a LUCID GENx6-96. So I don't really use the FW-1884 mic pre's

I have changed my mic-pre, so I no longer use the Presonus.

John :p

Back