Tascam US-1800 popping noises & latency, won't play back, HELP!

willfenix

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Tascam US-1800 interface and have it set up on my Windows Vista 32bit PC with Cubase LE5 installed. Everything was installed by the manual and it detects it as the primary playback/recording device (on the computer and in Cubase), but I am having one huge problem. Whenever it is plugged in, there is a consistent, rhythmic popping sound in the headphones/speakers. I have gone into the control panel and adjusted settings, switched USB ports (they are USB 2.0 ports also), I've tried to update drivers (they were already the latest), tried all different settings in Cubase, everything I can think of. And it does this AT ALL TIMES, not just in Cubase. Weirdly, I ran TRacks on it's own (mastering software), because I remembered that I had some issues when first running TRacks with Audio not playing properly and was able to change the settings to make it work - and I set the Audio hardware settings to the US-1800 with DirectX (as opposed to ASIO) and loaded a .wav file, and it played it back perfectly through the US-1800. But after I switched it to ASIO (process of elimination to see what could be causing the problem), it wouldn't play back even when I put it back to DirectX

What the heck is going on? I am at my wits end with this infernal popping. It seems to definitely be some issue with bitrate or latency, but despite all my efforts I can't get it to go away. I can't imagine it is an issue of the computer not being able to handle the interface, it is relatively new, I have 2 gigs of ram and I haven't even tried to record multiple tracks because I haven't been able to get it to play back sound in general. Can anyone help? Thank you for your time, if anyone has any advice please get back to me when you get the chance.

Also, I had previously tried to set up the interface on another computer and it did the same exact thing, so if it makes any difference it is doing it on multiple machines. The other computer was also Vista 32 bit.

To me it sounds like a PC issue.... You seem to have done all the trouble shooting could do!

The specs required for Cubase LE5 is a follows:
Minimum System Requirements PC Windows

2+ GHz processor (Dual Core or more recommended)
1024 MB RAM, 4 GB free hard drive space
Windows XP (SP2) Home or Pro, Windows Vista
Windows DirectX compatible audio hardware; ASIO compatible audio hardware recommended for low latency performance
DVD-ROM drive
USB component port for copy protection key
1280 x 800 pixel Display

Thats a minimum, which would imply to me that Cubase would only JUST be able to function. Could result in these clicks?

2G of Ram is not very good mate, the processor you are using will come in to play also in the ability to process these sounds.

I have the same Tuscam and Le5, but my PC has 8G of Ram and an i7 2nd gen processor. An over kill i know, but even then it can tend to have preformance issues.

Just something to revisit......

Hope you get it working soon mate!

What else is sharing your USB ports? Have you another USB cable to try? This does not sound like an interface/Cubase issue. Sounds like a connection problem.

Have you tried to increase your latency the Tascam's control panel ?
Maybe if you increase the buffer size it might help.

Sounds like a buffer size problem to me, might be a setting in cubase and it's doing something weird, or a setting on the tascam

Back