sync video audio

jmorris

What is the best and cheapest way to sync video with audio. I believe I need to dedicate one track of my HD24 multitrack for this. Presently I just line everything up by eye..pain in the ass.
Jim

Your question is really vague.

Where is the video coming from? Are you using a video editing program (NLE?)?

Sorry, well, I will take a video from a digital camcorder and import it into computer, windows movie maker, then import into Sonar.
Jim

I do live recordings of bands in clubs. I believe I can/need to sync the multitrack( dedticate one track) with the camera to have both sync up proper. I presently just inport video into sonar and line video up by "eye"

ah, yes...this makes more since. I thought you were trying to import a video of something into a sonar session and sync it up with some audio from somewhere else.

Easiest (and free) way to do this:
make a sync pop of some sort. Before you start the show, go out in front of the camera and clap loud enough to be picked up by a microphone. Then when you bring the video into Sonar you just line up the transient with the clap in the video. This is the way it's been done in the film industry for years (that's what those markers are for when they say "scene 1 take 4...marker")

Otherwise you'll need to have some sort of SMPTE source to sync the two up.

Bennychico11, sorry I want more clear, as you can tell this video sync stuuf is new to me. So that is why the clapper1 I always wondered. That is a good idea about clapping, I never thought of that. I would not mind a more exact way. SMPTE maybe. How much I wonder for a basic unit?
Thanks,Jim

well, what kind of camera are you running? Like the link above says, if your camera has some sort of TC out on it, you'd run that to a sync box which will convert it to a format the HD24 can chase (probably something like MTC). But most sync I/Os are going to be over 1000 new. Although you can probably pick up a MOTU timepiece for way less than that. Go to Ebay and type in MOTU Timepiece. I have a Digital Timepiece in my setup and it works great.

SMPTE time code from the video goes into the MOTU, and I go MIDI into my computer (via USB for me). You should just be able to plug into your MIDI IN on the HD24 and set it to sync to MTC (read your manual for how to do that).

do some Google searching on double-system sound...that's what it's called. You'll find a lot of articles on it.
http://www.jkor.com/peter/doublesystemsound.html

If you are not doing any post work to the individual audio tracks, you can just feed the main mix out of your mixer board right into the camcorder if it has an audio input the next time you do this.

If your camera can sync to time code, or outputs time code, you can score an Alesis BRC for around $200-250 which will allow you to sync them both together.

One way or another, your camera will either have to sync to, or send out time code.

I tell you though, what benny suggested about using the "clapper" is probably the easiest way to do things.

I was going to suggest having the drummer click the sticks together before you start, but I think the clapping technique is the same thing.

The camera is just a panasonic PV-GS15 I got at sears I think. Only outs are firewire and USB video, dont think any type of SMPTE. Fordvan PLEASE get rid of that picture! Everytime I see it I want to go watch Corky in Life Goes On. :p

Back