is it strong enough-firepod

rankmanugly

this is regarding a firepod. do u think that my laptop will sufficiently handle a firepod, to be able to record 6 tracks at least simultaneously.

AMD sempron 2600 (1.6Ghz), 512RAM, 40GigHD and 160Gig externalHD. i know it has more than minimum recommended specs, but from experienced users, will it be enough to keep me happy, or will i be tearing my hair out needing a faster laptop

thanks

i posted this in the wrong forum, yesterday. sorry for the re-post

does it have firewire? what kind of software will you be running with it? are you using XP? the only thing i would say is get some good software like Audition or Tracktion or maybe some of that free stuff like Kristal even just make sure that you do not overload the CPU with VST plugs. also you might add more RAM if you get the chance.

I'm sure you're familiar with the AMD clock speed convention (your Sempron = P4 2.6 Ghz). Regardless of whether you believe that or not it still seems to me like you've got enough to get started. From lurking around here it seems to me that AMD XP users have had pretty good luck running the Firepod. You may have some latency but that shouldn't be a big concern as with six live tracks it doesn't sound like you'll be overdubbing much.

I have the same set up except i'm using Cool Edit Pro instead. Just dont' go over a sample rate of 48khz and you should be fine. You should also take everything else off that computer and make sure no other programs are running when you use it, especially those unnecessary programs like an anti-virus program or something. I also have my latency set to 10ms if that does anything for you.

Rip off all the crap, set the appearance for performance (system-->advanced-->performance-->adjust for performance) and add a DIMM of 512 or even a gig.

As was said, use something efficient, such as Audition or Tracktion. I've had good luck with Tracktion on my 1.33Ghz Celeron w/ 768MB of RAM.

yeah cubase le sucks i used to use it and it was hassle than it was worth! if you can get something that does not kill CPU and run what you need then you will have a good set up although i hate windows any more i would say that use something light for any kind of anti virus software and don't clutter up the drives with any more than you have to .

Back