sound card noise

this is the noise from my onboard sound "soundmax"

Download effing noise ftl.mp3

this only does this in the rear microphine jack.

in the front pannel jack it squeals for some reason: (SHURE SM58 directly in)

my heaset seems to work perfectly??

i have tested 2 mics 2 leads and 2 adapters all same result

my computer is very powerful.

what is the cause of this noise?

The squealing could be feedback. If you're monitoring while recording with your speakers on then that's a good way to get feedback...

The noise sounds like a problem with the sound card. Did you hook an amp or anything into it directly? It also sounds like it could be system noise but I've never heard it that bad.

The fact that you're getting feedback in one jack, and noise in the other, kind of makes me wonder if they're both indeed microphone jacks or if the noisy one is a line-in jack.

If the rear jack is indeed Line In, then you just need to get a preamp. Hooking a mic straight into a Line In jack will not provide a good enough signal to be recorded and that would explain why the signal to noise ratio on this recording is so terrible.

If you don't have a preamp, for now, you'll need to use the (front) microphone jack because it has (crappy) built in pres and it may give you a good enough signal to record with. Just turn input monitoring off so you don't get feedback.

Buying a good recording card would be a wise investment. In the meantime, the "ideal" setup is:

Microphone -> Preamp -> Line-In jack on sound card

Back