sound card midi?

johnC

I've gathered from reading posts on this site that the preferred (under $500) sound cards are the M audio cards (audiophile or delta44's). My question is how are the midi patches on these cards? Do they even have midi?
The reason I ask is, I'm currently on a SB 'Ensoniq' card, 16 bit ( don't laugh) but I like the midi patches. The Ensoniq chip has great piano, bass, drums, string and even sax and horn patches that I don't want to loose. Can I run both say an Audiophile card for 24 bit 4 channel I/O while also having the SB card for midi sequences? Or do the M Audio cards have good midi patches. I prefer to stay away from cards with Roland synth chips as they tend to make everything sound like a Nintendo.

yes alot of us do run 2 cards....i use a Delta Audiophile and as POS Aureal Vortex card for midi.....

The M Audio cards have no MIDI patches. No MIDI sound generating hardware on those puppise at all. You'lll find that only the cheap consumer cards do, or very expensive ones with DSP hardware, with a few mid-line exceptions.

And yes, as Gidge already noted, you can keep that card. I would recommend an SB Live at least, though, because with its support of Sound Fonts, it becomes a remarkably good little sampler for the money, and therefore a very flexible MIDI module.

Wow, lots of posts since yesterday afternoon, this is down on page two already.

Bump for you, johnC

I've also been running 2 soundcards for several months now and I think it's a great way to go. (I'm running an SBLive and an Echo Mia.... zero problems.)

Back