Sony Acid Users? Question on midi step write and piano roll playback- hearing chords

smili

Hi all, this is my first post on homerecording.com. Trying to look for a new place to hang for the home musician and this looks like a pretty cool place. I had a question regarding Sony Acid Pro 7 and midi playback that I can't find the answer to/ can't figure out.

Here's the deal: I've just started working in Sony Acid again after a _long_ time away from music. I'm starting to use the midi and piano roll step write in Acid for the first time. Basically I'm fine with putting in the notes, editing, moving around, and real-time playback is fine - BUT - I can't figure out how to hear certain midi events that happen/occur at a certain point in time that I select.

For example - I'm manually putting in the notes of a chord via step-write and want to be able to play back that chord all at once and listen to it without having to hit the "play" button.

I'm coming from step writing in "Voyetra" software a long time ago where I would do alot of things by step write, and I was able to highlight vertically on the piano roll and be able to hear all the notes at once at a specific point in time - for example click on a chord and hear that chord in isolation. Basically I'm just trying to hear the midi notes at a point in time without having to hit play all the time. Move notes around, add notes, and click hear the chord again, etc. I do alot of manual stuff this way in step write because I'm a guitarist - not a keyboard player.

I can't figure out how to do this is Acid (I'm using Sony Acid Pro 7 using Kontakt 2 vst player at the moment). I've looked in the manual, searched the web, searched here, and can't find any reference to this. Can anyone do this - if so how? I greatly appreciate any tips on how to do this if so.

thank you - any tips are greatly appreciated

Back