Software Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamus

Hi All,

Here's the setup:

*P4 2.4G, 1G RAM, Win XP
*M-Audio Omni Studio, Delta 66 soundcard
*J-Station for guitar - MIDI patch editing, compression, disto, and f/x done using the J-Station, then spdif out directly to Delta 66
*SansAmp RBI for bass - compression added via RBI's f/x loop or in chain ahead of RBI, then DI to Omni pre
*SM57 for vox, or to mic isolated guitar cab if I 86 the J-Station
*V6 cans for monitors, need to make decent arrangements to share with other musicians, not engineer a pristine final product
*Bass - Spector NS5CR, dead quiet recording, articulate and inspired rock tone
*Guitar - Ibanez RG-570, sounds decent and plays like butta

I'm primarily a bass player, and handle guitar for my needs as well. I had 3 questions, 2 related to software, and 1 related to process.

1) Can you please recommend some value priced software I can research based on wanting to spend up to $300, but not much more? I don't need something sophisticated enough for a pristine final product, but something functional and flexible enough to arrange ideas into a passable mix for review by fellow musicians. I don't want something so dumbed down and basic that I feel I'm wanting more options, but I may also want to avoid something so powerful that the learning curve is through the roof.

2) I'm totally stumped on a drum track solution. Are drum machines too passe and cumbersome for consideration these days? I want something intuitive to use, yet have the flexibility to define custom parts when called for. Software that just gives me a few bars of loop to work with would be insufficient. I tried that before, and found it too limiting. I like to change things up if it suits the arrangement at the time. Being confined to some loop for the sake of keeping time tends to deaden the creative process for me.

3) How do I help alleviate the dilemma of needing to view the computer monitor while I work and record, yet avoid all the interference it produces in the signal? Are newer flat screens any less likely to produce such interference? The instruments I use to record are quiet, but a monitor just wreaks havoc on the pickups.

Thanks in advance for your responses, I'd be grateful for any help!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back