Small Budget

matt_barlow

I would like to start digital recording with computers and I would like to know what would be the best I could do with only 500$. I would like reccommended specifications for the computer. I have programs cool edit pro 1.2a and fruity loops 3.0
Any help welcomed. Thanks Matt

what is included in the $500 budget?....do you need mics,preamps,mixer,etc. or is this just for the soundcard?....what are your input/output needs?....what sources will you be recording (drums,guitar,vocals?)?.....what equip do you have already?.....

I already have a fostex x34 4 track tape recorder which I guess I couls use as a mixer and I have mics with cables. I need a computer and sound card. Might not be possible. But I have found some decent computers on the net in the 300 to 400 dollar range. Thanks Matt

http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T1115
this computer with a $100 monitor and a $150 Delta Audiophile will set you back about $650.....of course you could use the onboard soundcard until you can upgrade.....

keep in mind what im suggesting is UNDER what most here would consider bare minimum.....but youll get decent enough sound for now, depending on the quality of your mics and cables, and considering the preamps in your 4 track that youll have to use as a mixer/preamp arent the best for the job.......

Gidge, I appreciate you finding that computer for me. I do already have a monitor, so maybe I could do with spending the 550 or so. Thanks Matt.

P.S. Right now I am also considering building the P.C. with the help of a friend myself.

Building probably wont save you $$$$, but youll get TONS more quality for your $$$$........

what sources will you be recording (vocals,amps,drums,etc) and what mics do you have?.....

I will be recording vocals, guitar(electric and acoustic), drums, and keyboard. I only have a cheap nady mic, but I have acess to plenty of shure 57's and 58's plus some mics from my church(unsure of brand). Thanks Matt

Back