setting up mixer

bufaloeletric

i have reason 6 essentials and am new to recording. it has a 14:2 mixer. is it wise to set it up first in every recording session and then run everything through it. when i try this i seem to have trouble getting certain things to work. its got me so frustrated that im thinking of ditching the mixer alltogether. also i was wondering why there is not a reason/propellerhead forum. anyone know why?

I think you just haven't explained clearly what you are trying to do and what mixer you are referring to. Are you referring to the main DAW mixer, an input monitoring mixer or a hardware mixer? What things in the mixer can't you get to work?

Hey boulder, Reason does an awesome job at visually emulating the mixers in the software. He is talking about a mixer you can put into a visual rack in the DAW.

Funny he mentions the 14:2 mixer... it isn't even the main mixer in the DAW.

bufalo, you don't want to use the 14:2 mixer. That mixer is mostly for joining the tracks of your synths and drum sequencers. You want to create a new track on the SSL console style mixer. This is probably done by going to File -> Create new audio track, or something of the like. I can't give you step by step instructions as I'm in my college dorm and away from my studio computer. :(

But Reason is an AWESOME DAW once you get the hang of it. I'll be here to answer any questions you have about it, since there aren't many people who like to use it. :confused:

thanks crow, its just hard to explain anything when i dont know jack, if you know what i mean. i was led to believe thru a book i am trying to learn from that you needed to run every instrument into a separate track in the 14:2 for mix down later.
Hey boulder, Reason does an awesome job at visually emulating the mixers in the software. He is talking about a mixer you can put into a visual rack in the DAW.

Funny he mentions the 14:2 mixer... it isn't even the main mixer in the DAW.

bufalo, you don't want to use the 14:2 mixer. That mixer is mostly for joining the tracks of your synths and drum sequencers. You want to create a new track on the SSL console style mixer. This is probably done by going to File -> Create new audio track, or something of the like. I can't give you step by step instructions as I'm in my college dorm and away from my studio computer. :(

But Reason is an AWESOME DAW once you get the hang of it. I'll be here to answer any questions you have about it, since there aren't many people who like to use it. :confused:

thanks crow, its just hard to explain anything when i dont know jack, if you know what i mean. i was led to believe thru a book i am trying to learn from that you needed to run every instrument into a separate track in the 14:2 for mix down later.

That was true for Reason 5 and below, but ever since Record and Reason 6, the SSL console is the go to mixer now. And it's an awesome workflow console!

Back