Screwy Audio

Howlin

I have a Ricoh 7040A and Wave 8*24. I plugged outputs 1 and 2 of the Wave 8*24 interface to inputs 1 and 2 of my PA. I get audio from the Win98 CD, but not from audio CDs! I get sound from the headphone output only on audio CDs. Does anyone know what the problem could be? CD volume in Windows is up full, the volume control on the Ricoh is up. The player for Cool Edit SE or Windows CD Player show the CD playing. Play from Wave output 1 and 2 is selected in CEP. I would think there's something not selected in Windows, but the audio is there on the sample CD. Help!

Hi Howlin,

Does the wave 8*24 have an input on the card itself (inside the case) for CD Audio?
If so, there should be a cable running from the CD out on the back of your CD-R to the CD input on the Wave 8*24. If the wave 8*24 does not have a cd-in input on the card, then you could run a cable from the back of your CD-R to the cd-in of your other sound card (assuming you have one). And use that sound card for listening to audio CD's.

The sample CD is an audio CD I assume since you can hear it through your headphone input on the CD-R. The reason you get audio from the WIN98 cd is that it's in wav format, as opposed to the CDA format for audio cd's.

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 06-30-1999).]

Howdy, Emeric

Yes, there is a connector for a CD audio on the Wave824. I just got a cable for it today. A flat black four pin at the CDRW end (only one place to go, there are a few other pin connectors on the CDRW, 6 pin (3/3), 2 pin, and 4 pins in a square configuration, but only one place to fit the flat 4 pin, and I tried turning it upside down in case that made any difference) and a smaller fatter white 4 pin connector which only fits one way in the Wave824 (also no place else to put it and the manual indentifies it as the CD audio connector).

It dawned on me after awhile that the Windows CD was playing temporarily stored files and not off the CDRW, so I thought I might have the audio cable plugged in wrong, but there's no other way to do it. It's a new cable, but maybe there's something wrong with it.

I have had bizarre problems since I started putting this thing together. I went through hell before I got the BIOS screen and it turned out the CPU wasn't seated all the way. Home free, right? I didn't get the startup screen with the Win98 floppy (brand new sealed from Microsoft) and I swapped floppy drives and cables and checked the contents of the startup disk, which contained the files, but it wasn't until I tried to boot my old PC off of the floppy that I found the startup disk didn't work. Had to use a friend's disk to get started.

Then partition/formatting problems that I don't have the strength to talk about. Everything ended up fine and I only had to reinstall after reformatting once. I have 3.1 GB on C: drive (for software/non-audio files) and 9.5 GB on D: drive for audio. 12.6 GB of a 13.5 GB HD (directories take up a gig?). 9.5 GB is 4 hrs of 8 tracks, so I'm happy. I have an IBM, 7200rpm 9ms 2mb ATA/66 (disabled to ATA/33. Does 66mb/sec max make that much difference at 17mb/sec average?) I'm way off topic, but I don't care, I must vent.
smile.gif

Then I plug the audio cable from the sound card to the CDRW the only way I can see it can be plugged in and it doesn't work. At least the sound card works. I have the outputs going to my PA (2 15"/horn mains and 6 6" column monitor) and it sounds amazing. Surround sound. Wish I could play a CD.

BTW, the thing I was most worried about went without a hitch (counting blessings and crossing fingers). With the Abit board I overclocked a 300a Celeron to 450 in 2 seconds. Stayed at 2.0 volts. Temp is 36 degrees c. I noticed all problems people were having with overclocks involved straying from the 33 PCI bus speed, so I figured using 100 FSB would be less problematic, have a faster system speed and would be better overall than trying to get a 400 to 500 at 83 FSB with 41 PCI, or some such other nonsense.

I've just been looking through Cool Edit SE and it looks pretty good. The Wave824 CD comes with a demo of Cakewalk, so I can check that out too. (It HAS to be the cable... doesn't it?) Wow, I'm wired from cigarettes, Mountain Dew, and frustration. Think I'll go get a few slim jims and stay up all night swearing. Ah... recording just like I remember it.

I swear I RTFM. Twice. And thumbed through it a few times. Page 6. CD audio comes through 7 and 8 outputs when 7 and 8 monitors are turned on in the software. System sounds come through 1 and 2 outputs. In case anyone's keeping score.

Back