removing guitar noise

zebadee

Is there a way of removing guitar niose from recordings? I have a really noisy fx pedal. There must be a way of recring the noise and then removing it from the actual recording.

Any ideas/help??

You can always edit the tracks individually and silence the sections where you arent playing...that what help somewhat...I would hope the noise isnt very detectable while you are playing?.....

I've heard that Boss makes a great pedal called the Noise Supressor, but I haven't had first-hand experience with. Heard it actually works. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2

Yes I used to have one of those and I used it on my Original Zoom (very noisy). That was a while ago but if I remember correctly it worked pretty well. It did require a lot of cables though since it works as an effects loop.

Yeah big muff muffs are definitly noise machines (is it an original or a reissue). One of my friends has an original and noisy doesn't even begin to describe it (sounds pretty cool though). Anyway back to your problem, the only thing i can say is that it will be a little less noisy if it is the only pedal you have hooked up and the battery is brand new (thats my experience with trying to record my friends anyway). The boss noise supressor is an option, I have one but it sucks to much tone out of the sound for me and doesnt get used much (does get rid of noise though, but never hooked it up with a big muff). It seems to me like the noise is kind of a defining characteristic of the pedal most recordings that use them have ALOT of noise (i.e. Smashing Pumpkins). Other things to cosider are your pickups im sure you know this but humbuckers will be much quieter, if all you have is single coils then turn your computer monitor off while recording (if your using a computer anyway). Turn the ceiling fan off too, sometimes that can cause noise. Basically there isn't much you can do about noise with that pedal but if you pay attention to every little noise causing detail it might be a LITTLE quieter.

Good Luck

cool edit

Check out Cool Edit Pro, it has a decent function for removing noise (I think you can download a free evaluation copy with limited function).

Cheers for the suggestions. I'm using the NYC american re-issue big muff which are supposed are be quite quiet. The worrying thing is that the shhhhhhhhhh noise carries on while I'm playing, you can really hear it. The pedal is silent when I run it through the clean channel of my amp but through the overdrive channel it is really noisy.

I'm micing the amp and running that to the line in of my soundcard to record.

The idea of a noise surpressor sounds good but I really don't want to effect my tone any more (I'm already runing my big muff without an FX loop). Could there just be something wrong with the pedal?

My guitar has 2 single coils and 1 humbucker. I have the selector all the way back to the humbucker when I play.

It sounds like the muff wasn't made to go through the overdrive channel (although it seems to sound best there) on an amp and that is why it is so noisy.

I think I'll just go and get a noise gate and see if I can find sone software to clean up the recording.

zebadee said:
My guitar has 2 single coils and 1 humbucker. I have the selector all the way back to the humbucker when I play.

It sounds like the muff wasn't made to go through the overdrive channel (although it seems to sound best there) on an amp and that is why it is so noisy.

I think I'll just go and get a noise gate and see if I can find sone software to clean up the recording.

It sounds like your close miking your amplifier with this effect plugged in. Have you considered going direct with an amp emulater? Even using a POD in the effect sends on your console wouldn't be too bad an idea.

Otherwise, gate it! :D

i haven't had much luck using the pod with distortion pedals, though this isn't to say that you can't do it that way. i prefer the sans amp for this kind of direct thing. i record all my guitars direct, so the situation isn't the same as micing an amp, but what i've started to do now is record clean guitar tracks while monitoring with a pod or sans amp. i then run the guitar track thru the revalver amp emulation software. this is similar to pod, but you can change your amp model after you have recorded. i only record this way cause i have too...i miss all the feedback.

is there a lot of noise with your guitar turned up, etc while you're not playing anything? if yes, you might want to reevaluate the setting on the pedal and the amp....to be more precise, is the noise very loud when you aren't playing?

what kind of amp is this?

i think the last thing to do is to plan to use software to clean up a recording. use software, yes...but first get the sound you want , record it and then process it however....

of course using a noise gate, or some kind of gating effect, is , i think, almost a must with digitally recording heavily distorted guitars.

When I'm not playing it is *really* noisy a kinda shhhhhh sound. I'm using a Marshell Valvestate 230 with the big muff (I'm trying for a pumpkins kinda sound).

People have said that the pumpkins used KT88 tubes in their amps w/the muff which don't distort very easly so thats how they got away with it. Maybe I should just use a lower gain setting on the amp and see if the noise stops without comprimising the sound too much.

i'm a total fan of the pumpkins and the pumpkins guitar sound....the guitars on siamese dream are hot...this is due somewhat to butch vig, and to billy corgan....the pumpkins guitar are layered and heavily processed....you are not gonna get the pumpkins sound out of an amp...get your muff and amp set up so you can get something usuable that you can recognize as in the direction of the sound you want...then try layering three or four tracks....layer the same track and add other tracks with sublte variations.....if you are familiar with randy rhodes the greatest rock guitar player after eddy van halen, he got a huge sound on blizzard of ozz by layering the same tracks....like recording two tracks of the same thing , then mixing them.....this is one way to do it.

if you have hear david gilmores solo on 'the wall part 2", he recorded that directly into a compressor with no amp....compressors can enhance guitar sounds a lot if you know how to use one....the smashing pumpkins used compressors to help acheive that tight sound they get on siamese dream and melancholy ....methinks...into the guitar sounds on in utero?

Back