reinstalled ME, crap where is my stuff?

shackrock

so my old computer was crapped out completely, wouldnt start up ever. i managed to run windows ME setup, and it installed ME again.

now, none of my old files/programs are on the desktop, or in the start menu. but, i can search for them and they show up sometimes. anyway, i don't remember the name of any of the files etc...and i want those (the whole reason i reinstalled was to get these old songs off of the comp!!). so basically, anyone know the folder that windows puts your old desktop in after another install? or DOES it do that? Is it possible his stuff is just plane gone? i hope not, ha.

thanks though

I dont know how ME installs but with XP you can reinstall leaving exsisting files intact. But you have to choose that option otherwise it does a clean install.

oh yeah,

and on teh c drive, there are mass folders like

dir00001
dir00002
dir00003

all the way up to 50...they got a lot of computer mombo jumbo in them. any ideas? think that could be some old data?

The dir00001 info you see I believe is from Scandisk trying to save your hard drive. When it finds big problems, thats how it tries to save the drive. Sounds like you drives about to die.

Can you find any folders that may have your songs, or are they gone.

I've never done it, but I heard that it may be possible to pull data out of those files. I just don't know how usable it will be.
Good Luck!

SpaceBoy

spaceboy - do you know who i could contact about this?? haha. i'm willing to try anything really. google pulled up not so much results!! haha.

usually, reinstalling the os kills whatever data is on that drive. if you didn't partition, i think you may be screwed.

Back