recording software w/ pitch correction

daled

Just another newbie question:

Does anyone know if any of the less-expensive multi-track software (n-track, CEP) has pitch correction ability? My singing often sucks and when I do get close to a good take, I dont want to have to scratch it because of an off note.

CEP, less expensive? Seems pretty high-priced to me. Perhaps you meant Cool Edit 2000...

CE 2000 does have that capability, and I'm pretty sure Sound Forge XP does too...

The multi-track software doesn't need to have it buit-in, that's what plug-ins are for :D

There are many on the market, I'm sure you could find a shareware one that would work just fine with your existing multi-track program.

thanks

thanks for the advice... yeah, I actually meant cool edit 2000 - im just fooling around w/ a trial version.

I don't think most of the "pitch correction" that is built into audio programs is what you are looking for.

What you want is Autotune. This is an excellent plug-in that can be used within most audio programs. It's great for correcting off key vocal notes (or instruments for that matter). It has a graphical mode that allows you to address the exact note(s) you wish to correct and the degree of correction. It's not cheap, however.

There is another one called RBC Voice Tweaker that I think is less expensive. I haven't used it though, so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness.

A precaution regarding OB-Tune...

Although OB-Tune does offer the same algorithm as Autotune, I believe it only offers Autotune's "automatic" mode. My experience has been that Autotune rarely gives me the desired results when used in automatic mode.

I find that Autotune is quite amazing in graphical mode - as you can draw in where the corrections occur and what notes they should be corrected to. I find that in singing that many (most?) singers acutally slide to many of their note changes. The slide is generally fine and sounds natural. Using graphical mode you can correct only at the point where the slide ends (and insure it ends on the proper note :) ) rather than trying to "pull" the entire slide to the "corrected" note

Automatic mode generally "guesses" at the correct note (although you tell it the key of the song). I find it doesn't always guess right, and even when it does guess right, I can frequently *hear* the correction (i.e., it doesn't quite sound natural).

I've never used OB-Tune, so I'm only speaking from reading the specs. But based on the fact that it only offers the automatic mode and my experience with auto mode in Autotune has been less than desirable, I would tend to shy away from it. However, there is always the $49 price versus $300 or so. :D

BTW, AlChuck, I'd been thinking of changing my name to DavidK, but for now I'm gonna leave it as dachay2tnr.

Back