Recording a Logic Audio Mix to a SONY MiniDisc recorder/Player using the OMNI/Delta66

pisces7378

Since I am having so much problems burning a fecking CD with any Logic Audio .wav file (it always sounds fine in Win Media Player, but somehow when I burn the finished stereo .wav file to CD there is a lot of digital noise) I remembered that I have just bought a SONY MiniDisc player/recorder to use just for listening to music in the train on the way to work. Now that thing can record a CD beautifully with the "line out" jack from my old DiscMan connected right into the "line" in" jack on the MiniDisc recorder/player.

Now the only problem is... my Delta 66 with the OMNI does not have a clearly marked "line out" jack. I have all kinds of headphone outs, monitor outs, direct outs, effects sends etc... but nothing saying "Line Out". Now, I have tried to record to MiniDisc via the headphone jack, the direct outs, and the Monitor outs... and there was always SOMETHING wrong.

The Headphone jack totally removed the lows and the whole song clipped like hell the whole time... I probably nearly fried my MiniDisc player!

But they all did that. Every single "out" on my Omni was too hot for the MiniDisc. The MiniDisc recorder doesn't have a trim knob or a Pad button (come on SONY, ever consumer needs to have at leat a pad button if not a high end trim knob :) )

What would you guys suggest I try?

What made matters worse, is that I have some really nice BeyerDynamic DT990 headphones... and I used them to "set the level" before I pressed record on the MD recorder and play on Logic. The DT990s have an extremely high empedence I guess because when i tried to listen to the same mix with normal SONY headphones... it was SCREAMIN. (just a little side story)

Anyway... any suggestions?

you have to use 2 of the 1/4 outputs. I've been told you have to assign one to left, and one to right, then use adapters and shit to get it down to 1/8' to go into the mini disk player. i asked this questions a few days ago in a thread when i was compared the motu 896 to the delta 1010. Seems there is no easy way to do it:(

Keep in mind...

I am not talking about a propper MiniDisc multi-track recorder, or even a high end consumer unit. I am talking about a $200 US Dollar MiniDiscman that runs on one AA battery, and is intended for recording and playing back CDs so that I can listen to Bruce Springsteen CDs on the way to work without having a big CD DiscMan to carry around.

Adaptors??? I cannot imagine that anyone makes adaptors for something like this. I just want to find the "line out" on the OMNI, or at least another alternative to getting my Logic Audio .wav files onto MiniDisc..

yea, i know, thats the kinda mini disk i have, and i was talking about. Its a huge pain in the ass, you'd have to have 2 1/4 - 1/4 cables coming out of the delta.
then probably a cable that goes from 2 female 1/4 plugs, to one 1/8
i don't even know if they exist, but as far as i know thats the only way to do it
unless put it through a mixing board, then out the rca, and go rca-1/8
i have to figure this out as well, im gonna have to deal with it.

When you say that I have to have 2 cabels coming out of the OMNI... which outputs are you using? There is nothing labeled "Line out" and I am not sure which of the outputs on the OMNI puts out a "Line Level" signal....

:confused:

You need to use 2 of the direct outs or monitor outs and adapt them to fit the inputs on the recorder. If it's clipping the minidisc then turn it down in Logic or whatever you are playing it with.

Are you sure you are saving the Logic mixdown as a 16bit file? Do you hit the bounce button on the master buss and tell it to save as 16bit?

...Every single "out" on my Omni was too hot for the MiniDisc....
- Sony has built some models of their MD Walkman recorders this way: it works great when using mini mics to record normal/faint sound, but overloads easily from loud sounds (especially percussive sounds), even with the rec-level at its lowest "on" position.
~
What you need is a cable with a dual 10K potentiometer placed into it (you can make it yerself), or you can spend a fistful of dollars and go to Microphone Madness and look up their -20 dB MM-AT-1 attentuator cable ($30)---[it ain't adjustable though]. ~ There's also cheap "headphone voume adaptors" for headphone players, which are basically the same thing (a stereo extension cable with a variable dual resistor inline) -if you can conveniently+cheaply find one of these.....
(I gots a Sony MZR700, it does the same thing, even with the rec level set to minimum.....)

Back