record one track while playing back another

r_tortoise

Putting it all together – what am I missing? I’m sure this question or a similar one has been asked before, but I can seem to find the answer in the archive of questions. From what I have seen so far, it seems the most common approach is to record to a digital recorder then mix down to a computer for final effects and to burn a CD. At this point a digital recorder is not in the budget.

Here is a list of what I have so far:
PC
Plll, 500, 128 ram, CD-RW, DVD, 13.6hd, SB live! Value card, 3 open PCI slots, 1 open bay. Monsoon speaker’s w/sub.

Mixer
Mackie CFX12

Software
None yet, currently testing Acid 2.0

PA
Carvin AD100 Guitar/PA amp

Goal – record guitar, bass, vocals, drums, etc into a format that will allow me to edit, add affects and allow me to burn a music CD. At this point in time, my budget is around the $400.00 > $500.00 range for missing hardware/software. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, I am looking for a sound/recording quality of around 7 or better.

My dilemma is to record one track while playing back another. I.e., playing a drum track while recording a guitar track and then building from there. Also, I would like to be able to record several tracks at once. MIDI, I’m sure I’ll need it for something, at this point I have no clue how this fits into the equation.

Can the above mentioned be done with what I have, or do I need to go shopping? My guess is that I need a new sound card. If that is the case, I am just looking for confirmation. I’ve read the “priz” discussion on sound cards…other than a headache, it did solve any sound card questions I might have had, but it raised a few more questions. AD/DA converters, sample rates - 24/96, compatibility issues???

Also, From Gidge 6/3/01 “Delta Audiophile, Art Tube MP, RNC compressor, and Marshall mxl67v......start here, get your system up and running, recording some tracks and see where you are there....from there, see what you are lacking and go from there....its the way most of us do, and the best way.....”

What are the items Gidge is referring to and maybe a brief description each??

Also, can anyone suggest any good reference books/videos for the newbie Home Recording enthusiast?

Thanks!

here's something...

What makes a sound card play back and record from what I've deciphered is on most soundcards called, full duplex operation...this will not let you record more than on instument at a time, that's where channels enter the scene.
The RME cards have a new enhanced full duplex that lets you playback and record at differnt sample rates, where I think normally you have to play back at 96khz if you want to record at 96khz. This I think will do what you want...

how are you planning to record drums? you mentioned that you are gonna record drums.

a search in EXPLORER or whatever, will probably take you to sites that will explain the sound card, pre amp, compressor and mic GIDGE mentioned.

good luck

R,

The good AND bad thing is there are a number of ways you could go. IF you are going to use midi as well as live stuff, then I'd
go with a sequencer that does digital audio as well. I use Cakewalk myself but there are many good ones out there and
they often come in several flavors, you know, "good, better, best". Same for Cakewalk Pro Audio version 9 which I use.
Cubase is also a leading one in the field. PG Music, the
people who make Band In A Box, has one they sell for $30.
I've never used it but I know they are good at supporting
their product.

Cakewalk Pro Audio costs in the neighborhood of $300.
If you didn't need midi and were going to do all the music
parts yourself, then you could look at Vegas or Cool Edit
Pro, multitrack "recorders" if you will that do lots of processing.

The Soundblaster soundcard will only let you bring in one thing at a time to your computer. There are a number that bring in
eight tracks at a time. Echo makes some with girl names,
Gina, Layla, not such which one does what but I've heard they
make a quality product.

Well, this is just a start. If you have any specific questions,
I'll certainly try to answer to the best of my ability. You are
doing the smart thing by doing your research NOW rather than
after you've made a purchase and see you didn't get what you
thought you were buying. Good luck with this.

PaulB

Back