.ra to mp3 conversion

evhwanabe

Well I told someone I could do this but as I am doing more and more research I am not having any luck coming up with a FREE converter to do this.

I checked dbpoweramp which is usually my go to for file conversion but no dice!

Anyone have any idea how to do this?

Well... assuming that by a .ra file, you're referring to RealAudio, I doubt you'll find much, since RA is a proprietary streaming format of http://www.realnetworks.com . I honestly know very little about it, but the important word there is "proprietary". Meaning that because of the DMCA, it's likely that if anyone is able to reverse engineer the format, they'd be opening up themselves to lawsuits if they shared that ability with others.

elevate said:
dBpowerAMP will do it - just download the Real codecs.

I checked their site, but it looks like it only encodes to ra and not decodes......
unless I am reading the site wrong.. I will take another look

fraserhutch thanks I will look into that!

Easiest way to convert ANY format for which you can't do a direct conversion, is to open Audacity (or another Wave editor) and have it record whatever is being sent to the soundcard. So bring up RealPlayer, play the song, and then hit record on Audacity. You'll then have a wave file you can convert to MP3. BUT - Audacity will record ANY sound your PC feels like playing, so if your Outlook decides to get mail and you have it setup to play some cute sound alerting you of the new mail, this will get recorded by Audacity, so shutdown anything that might "speak up" during the recording.

I had to do this to get the David Gilmour Concert DVD into mp3 form (for my own use!). It worked really well, but it took awhile to chop up the concert into individual tracks. I think the DVD was "rip" protected or something. (please forgive me Mr. Gilmour!)

gordone said:
Easiest way to convert ANY format for which you can't do a direct conversion, is to open Audacity (or another Wave editor) and have it record whatever is being sent to the soundcard. So bring up RealPlayer, play the song, and then hit record on Audacity. You'll then have a wave file you can convert to MP3. BUT - Audacity will record ANY sound your PC feels like playing, so if your Outlook decides to get mail and you have it setup to play some cute sound alerting you of the new mail, this will get recorded by Audacity, so shutdown anything that might "speak up" during the recording.

I had to do this to get the David Gilmour Concert DVD into mp3 form (for my own use!). It worked really well, but it took awhile to chop up the concert into individual tracks. I think the DVD was "rip" protected or something. (please forgive me Mr. Gilmour!)

yeah I thought of doing that but is much more work than I want to do. lol
Oh well not a big deal.

Back