quick help needed before I hit the music store tomorrow

Sacredgrooves

I have a delta 44(not installed yet) will it take the place of my POS soundcard that came with the pc for music/dvd playback along with what it brings to the table for recording?
also, I do not have studio monitors yet. can I run my klipsch pro media(self powered) off the 44's breakout box 1/4 outputs until I get monitors? (the klipsch have 2 1/8" adapters, so I plan on getting 2 1/8 to 1/4" mono adapters and using 2 output jacks from the 44 for left and right) will this work in the meantime?

specs: pc w/ pentium 3.2 ghz, 512 ram(for now) 160 gig HD. klipsch pro media 4.1, cool edit pro 2.0

thanks! I posted this in the noob section yesterday but didnt get a response yet. tomorrow is my only shot at getting to the music store until next weekend, so if you can help me out I would greatly appreciate it! if the klipsch wont work, I will just bite the bullet and buy monitors tomorrow.

Hey - yep, you can make do with the computer speakers, but I'd get a pair of monitors ASAP anyway if you can swing it :)
And yes, you can have the 44 as your main all-around soundcard if you like.

thanks for your help! after reading your response, it triggered another quick question. How do studio monitors sound for playback of say, my mp3 collection? is there adequate bass response? I will probably go the route of a pair in the $400 to $500 range, but may add a subwoofer later. would the 2 monitors and a sub require 3 of my 4 output jacks on the delta 44? thanks again, Dave

Hey Dave - well, here's my 2c on monitors... there's tonnes of stuff on this board arguing about the subject, but from what I've found...
In *theory* monitors are supposed to provide a "neutral" response which may not sound like the way you're accustomed to listening (if you like lots of crazy floor shaking bass). However, unfortunately in that price range (I'm assuming you're talking actives) you're probably not going to find truly flat/neutral monitors anyway, so as with any monitor purchase be sure to really listen to lots of different ones in the store and pick the ones that give you as much detail as possible, but also are reasonably pleasing to your ears in that you could stand to listen to them all day/night when you're working away like mad. You'll be shocked at how vastly different these "neutral flat" monitors all sound from one another... and the sales guy at the store will probably give you some line like "well, if they were all the same, that'd be pretty boring." :rolleyes:
Adding a subwoofer, from a mixing/accuracy perspective, can be problematic in that it's far harder to control those low bass frequencies, especially in a non or poorly treated room. But some people do it... I don't know many in a home set up mind you - just be careful :)
In short, I'd say your monitors will probably sound fine for general music listening (I use mine all the time) but you've always got your old Klipsch set if you just wanna annoy the downstairs neighbors :D

thanks alot Dr Biscuits!
I do plan on getting active monitors...possibly the m-audio bx8. I see your point on the subs, and you are right...I can just plug in my klipsch if I need some ground shaking bass lol. I record in the garage for now and it is not soundproofed in the slightest. I hope my next house will have a basement or dedicated room where I cann expand towards "perfection". maybe by then my skills will have caught up to my gear and it will be time to upgrade lol. thanks for all your advice, it has been a great help! Dave

Back