Question about mixing a band and the Lynx cards

TheChris

So, the Lynx seems to have the best DAC of all the internal cards, and I don't have enough money to buy an outboard system, so it seems that this would be the best way to go.

BUT - I also want the option of tracking a kit (~6-8 mics), Bass, guitar, and vocals onto separate tracks. Ideally I'd like to mic the cabs as well as take a DI.

SO - am I out of luck with the Lynx products? Do I need to go down in quality and get an (or 2) Aardvark Q10 or a Delta 1010?

How can a studio doing band recordings use such a card as a LynxOne or LynxTwo when all they offer is a max of 6 ins?

Just get 2 or 3 LynxTwo C cards? Is that the only option?

Thanks!

Well if you are looking at analog i/o, that's it. But 2 cards - 8 tracks of Lynx will produce a much higher quality of sound.

I can usually get drums to 3 or 4 tracks. So, the A version will work temporarily. I'll pick up another maybe later this year. If you're recording live, yeah that would be hard.

Thanks LD! I completely forgot about that.

But then it would cost _alot_ to get 16 channels of AD outboard converters, which was kind of the appeal of using a Lynx card in the first place, right?

Maybe I'm missing something and there's a more inexpensive way of getting this level of quality. Or maybe there isn't and I just have to bite the bullet to get a studio capable of competing with the semi-pros?

This isn't even mentioning the cost of outboard DAC for musician monitoring... But I guess you could use something inexpensive there, since it won't affect the mix.

This is tough.. but fun. :)

Back