Q for Delta 66/OnmiStudio Users - Signal Routing

Cuzin B

All,

I need some help with a particular routing question. This question could apply to any outboard processor that you guys have out there but I really need some insight from any Delta 66/ Onmi Studio users who can assist with SPDIF signal routing in the Delta Control panel.

Let me set the stage...I have really enjoyed my Delta 66/Omni Studio for over a year and I just added the awesome Mindprint Envoice channel strip processor to my setup. This all tube processor really warms up anything you plug into it. My Envoice fitted with the DI-MOD SPDIF interface so I can connect the Envoice directly to the Delta 66 using it's SPDIF digital in/out connectors.

So using Sonic Foundry Vegas for a typical multitrack session, what I want to do is take an existing track from Vegas, patch it back through the the Delta (SPDIF Out) to the Envoice (SPDIF IN) - add tube processing warmth to the track and sent it back out (Envoice SPDIF Out) to the Delta (SPDIF IN) and re-record the newly processed signal to a new track in Vegas.

I am really confused as to how to route this properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Although I can't verify this right now (not at home), I think you can do it this way.

Route the track to be processed to the S/PDIF out in Vegas...I think this can only be done if you route the channel to a bus, and then route the bus to the S/PDIF out.

Then to record the processed signal, arm a track for recording, and select S/PDIF in for that track's recording source.

The Patchbay/Router section of the Detal CP should have the H/W Out S/PDIF set to WavOut S/PDIF.

Because this is an educated GUESS at this point, be very careful when setting this up, as it might create a feedback loop if I'm wrong...Keep your monitors/headphones turned way down until you know it's okay.

Let us know if this works.

LooneyTunez,

Thanks for the update. I think you are onto to something here. The additional bus routing step is what I was missing. I was trying to simply arm a new track in Vegas and I was choosing SPDIF In as the source. Then I would just hit play and nothing was recording the new track...no wonder cause there was no signal coming in to record...

Again - I am not in front of gear right now either. I will set this up when I get back to the studio...

Cheers,

Cuzin B

If it's possible to do it the way I suggested, you may need to use opposite channels on the In and Out to prevent a feedback loop. In the Delta CP (Monitor Mixer Tab), mute one channel of the WavOut S/PDIF, and mute the opposite channel of the H/W in S/PDIF.

If that doesn't work (because you may not be able to playback and record S/PDIF at the same time), you may have to go analog for either the output or input...which probably won't suffer too much anyway.

LooneyTunez,

I also have several additional analog outs from the back of the Envoice to reroute an incoming SPDIF signal out to a standard in on the Onmi front panel...could do it that way as well...

Cuzin B

Cuzin B said:
LooneyTunez,

I also have several additional analog outs from the back of the Envoice to reroute an incoming SPDIF signal out to a standard in on the Onmi front panel...could do it that way as well...

Cuzin B

Yes you could but it's another A/D conversion.

Fed - Hey - you are right....I don't need that!

So I need to make SPDIF in/out work at the same time - Should be able to do it...I have heard of others being able to do this procedure (not necessarily with the Delta/Omni) but it should be possible...

The way the Mindprint manual lays - they say it's no problem...but of course they don't specify with what equipment this will work...:)

I will keep at it.

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Yes you could but it's another A/D conversion.

I'm not sure that it would be. The Mindprint is doing A/D to it's S/PDIF output, so if you take the analog output of the Mindprint, then the Delta will do the conversion instead.

Am I off base, or does that seem like the correct signal path? :confused:

1. delta SPDI/F Out to Mind Print SPDI/F In - no conversion
2. MindPrint SPDI/F In to MindPrint Analog Out - conversion 1
3. MindPrint Analog Out to Delta Analog In - no conversion
4 Delta Analog In to computer - conversion 2

Correct me if I'm wrong here
cheers

Yeah, that's correct, but you have two conversions regardless. Even if you use the Mindprint S/PDIF for both in and out, it still has to convert twice.

- Delta S/PDIF out to Minprint S/PDIF in (No conversion)
- Mindprint S/PDIF in gets converted to analog for processing
- Mindprint converts analog back to digital (after processing) for S/PDIF out
- Minprint S/PDIF out to Delta S/PDIF in (No conversion)

One D/A, and one A/D = 2

Does that sound right?

:confused:

Guys,

As long as the signal gets to the Mindprint via SPDIF and leaves thru SPDIF, I don't really mind. There will be nothing to complain about there. At least that's what Mindprint is saying (er...promoting!) I just wanna know how to make this hapen thru the Omni Studio without repatching everything...

Cheers,

Cuzin B

All,

Test completed - and it works like a charm! It was the bus assignment that was throwing me. This works great and no feedback loops or anything.

It really warms up any track that you run through it. Tried about 6 tracks on a simple mix I was working on and what a difference from the original!

Thanks for all the help - I think I have just increased the value in my Envoice about 10 fold...I can bring this unit into any project now to warm up those tracks that sound a little chilly!

Cheers,

Cuzin B

Back