protools vs. DP vs. Logic Pro

LP2006

protools Mpowered/LE????
Digital Preformer 5????
Logic Pro 7.2????

which would you prefer for an all around(midi and audio) software package?

and...

is mpowered compatible with vst format?

can you multitrack in bias peak pro? (I don't think you can)

thanks guys.

EDIT: dammit I meant to post a poll!!!!

I'm not familiar with DP.

I'd go with Logic, actually. I've only used it a few times, but I *think* it has the best "all around" features of the ones you've listed. Not as locked in to specific hardware as Pro Tools.

Pro Tools *can* use VST's with FXpansions Vst2Rtas wrapper...BUT not with the new Intel macs, at least for a little while. They are planning to update it but who knows when that will be.

I'm pretty sure Peak doesn't multitrack. Bias's multitrack program is called Deck and, if I recall correctly, it doesn't do MIDI. I haven't checked it out for a LONG time, though, so maybe it does now.

At any rate, Pro Tools M and LE are both dumbed down versions of of the flagship Pro Tools HD. While the are great programs in themselves, they don't compete (at all) with the flagship Logic Pro. The even have a tough time competing with Logic Express, really.

The only reasons I'd go with Pro Tools (which I did) are a) inter-studio compatibility, b) you want to get a job using Pro Tools and c) name recognition for you studio. It is an industry standard, its just not the best that's out there. Not by a long shot.

Take care,
Chris

I use Logic Pro 7.2 on a daily basis, and it's a LITTLE confusing, but once you get the hang of it you'll be producing shit in no time.

It's great for MIDI, a little wonky for audio, but you can get a VST wrapper if you need, and most mac plugs are in AU format anyways.

BUT BUT BUT, don't make the mistake I did and buy a bunch of plugs that aren't universal compatible yet. I just ordered the Powercore without looking into that, and I really really really really hope I'm not fucked, or I will be PISSED. And before I ordered the powercore, I got a Waves bundle and had the same problem. I think I might be retarded.

Well, shit. I just checked, TC says they'll support intel Macs at an undisclosed time.

Fuck.

Fuck.

FUCK

That's another $1000 down the drain. Yeah, they'll update it eventually, but I have some projects that NEED to be done, and need better plugs than what came with Logic. Ah, god dammit, bad shit ALWAYS happens to me.

I've used all three, and to be quite honest, if you don't want to spend any extra money on recording software, and want to spend money on Plugins instead, go with ProTools. It comes with the interface you buy, and I think is the best software you can get that is coupled with hardware. However, because you can only use it with your Digi console, if your power supply poops out (common 002 problem) and you're in the middle of a session, it can be a pain in the ass to wait around until it gets fixed. And beware the default plugins, especially the reverb. Gross.

I've done quite a bit of work with DP, and I like its plugins a lot. They're definitely usable, and don't leave many gaps to be filled by third-party plugins. And if I remember correctly it comes with CueMix Console, which is a monitering program that is VERY helpful for routing signals and level adjustments to individual outputs, like setting a specific mix for the headphones that is different from the one you hear in the moniters.

Logic is pretty good, but I find it honestly to be a bit overrated. My friend bought it and we've done a lot of playing around with it, and it just doesn't feel right to me. I think it actually might just be that I think the color scheme is too dark, being used to DP and all. But I've been mostly unimpressed with the MIDI instruments that come with it (even with the right EQ and verb, etc, it's difficult to make some of the instruments sound real) and that's mostly what you're paying for. Although the Rhodes and Hammond VSTs are AMAZING. And some of the synths are pretty cool.

They all basically work the same. They all have similar layouts, similar interfaces, and similar functionality. Some come with better plugins, but if you plan on purchasing plugins anyway, go with something that is cost-effective for what fits your budget. You can basically pick any of the softwares and learn to use them effectively.

My personal plan is to buy an old Mbox or an Mbox 2, just to say I have ProTools in case someone wants me to use it in their session, and to also have a larger interface with either DP or Cubase for the clients who trust my opinion. I hope that helps some. :)

Neito said:
They all basically work the same. They all have similar layouts, similar interfaces, and similar functionality. Some come with better plugins, but if you plan on purchasing plugins anyway, go with something that is cost-effective for what fits your budget. You can basically pick any of the softwares and learn to use them effectively.

Yes. 10 characters.

I have no experience with DP, but I have Logic Express and Pro Tools 7 M-powered and the bottom line is that they both kick ass, just in different ways. I use Logic for any midi/virtual instrument project, and PT for just about everything else. PT is just a bit awkward in dealing with midi editing and loops. Logic Express 7 handles both with ease. If you are choosing just one, I would go with PT due to its superior audio capability for recording, editing and mixing. That more than makes up for the awkwardness in dealing with midi and loops.

Logic is very good, but it's audio side isn't as good as pro tools and it also had some issues with my m-audio harware.

I've used all 3 but i have less experience with logic. I'm kinda going through the same thing, just trying to figure out one program to stick with. But anyway, pro tools is a dream for audio, and dp will handle midi like a pro. Logic will destroy your soul for the first few days trying to figure it out, but it seems like once you get used to it, if ever, then it rocks.

while i learned on dp its really been pissing me off lately, but it is still just fantastic for sequencing.

right on, thanks for the advise guys. Let me add one more thing in there: what would you suggest considering that I'm comming from working in sonar for a few years? Not to say I'm not capable of learning a new program, because I certainly am.

Oh, and honestly I hate how protools requires the use of specific interfaces, especially considering I got a firewire got for my onyx 1220 at a standup price brand-new. I sent an email to the ebay store to see if they would consider a firewire 1814 at the same price, but the idea of being able to just plug my onyx right into my computer is kinda nice! But then again I get more or less the same amount of inputs on the firewire 1814 so.......f*** decision making!

Back