Professional cards that support Soundfonts?

aljordan

Are there any sound cards that support 24/96 recording as well as Soundfonts? I notice that some members of the list use the SBlive as well as another pro level card for recording. If you use two cards, I am confused how you would mix midi tracks based upon soundfonts along with recorded tracks sampled at a 24/96 rate?

Thanks for any info.

Alan

I have a Darla24 for Recording, Soundblaster Live for Soundfonts (which I rarely use). The output of the SB card goes to my mixer, and then my mixer to the Darla24 so I can record both audio and the soundfonts. You have to record Midi tracks as audio eventually, so it really isnt any different as recording anything else.

DavidK,

I have a similar setup. I just use the SB Live's audio device to record its own MIDI tracks directly, rather than routing the MIDI sounds out its DAC, through the mixer and back into the Delta's ADC... seems simple to me, no chance of introducing extra noise in the signal path...

SountFonts are SB proprietary.....other consumer cards have similar options....mine has DLS(DownLoadableSounds)......usually these cards suck for audio recording so that is why we use 2....

i import 16 bit Fruity Loop parts into N-Track and then record audio parts at 24 bit and there is no problem......

Good thinking, AL Chuck! I never thought of that, will try it next time I use Soundfonts. Actually, You were the one who got me to use my Darla and SB together, about a year ago I think.

Ditto the above. You'll need an SBLive or Audigy to handle soundfonts, MIDI and CD-audio plus a 24-bit card (which the Audigy ISN'T) for high-quality audio.

I have an Echo Mia and an SBLive in my PC. Very happy; no problems. I personally think that 2 cards are the way to go.

Note that there are some new software samplers out that can handle soundfonts but you'll have to do a web search to find them

Using a software synth that handles soundfonts... Does this mean I could compose using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and soundfonts on my laptop which only contains a built in Crystal Soundfusion soundcard?

Yeah, you can... but just be aware the ones I pointed to are DXi (DirectX Instruments) and will not work with Cakewalk Pro Audio, only SONAR and the SONAR-based products.

Back