Pro-Tools set up

Ignition.

Okay, I just bought a Mac and I want to ad pro-tools. I know I can just go to a shop and ask, but the closest one is an hour away...can anybody tell me what else I need to purchase in order to use pro-tools in the studio? Do i need to buy an interface? What kind?

Also, what other programs besides Protools would you recomend, and would I need to go through the same stuff....or could I get away with a lot less outboard gear with another program?

I record everything with mics...Currently onto a Korg mkd1600 recording thing...

Thanks in advance for any advice ;-)

What kind of mac? At this time, there are no protools software or interfaces available for the new intel based macs (Later this month according to Digi)

Ignition. said:
Okay, I just bought a Mac and I want to ad pro-tools. I know I can just go to a shop and ask, but the closest one is an hour away...can anybody tell me what else I need to purchase in order to use pro-tools in the studio? Do i need to buy an interface? What kind?

Also, what other programs besides Protools would you recomend, and would I need to go through the same stuff....or could I get away with a lot less outboard gear with another program?

I record everything with mics...Currently onto a Korg mkd1600 recording thing...

Thanks in advance for any advice ;-)

Most all the newer macs can work well with Pro Tools.
Check this site out to make sure your mac is compatible:
http://digidesign.com/compato/

Check this link out for available options in the LE line that may suit you:
http://protoolsforum.com/ProToolsLE1.html
note that that M-Powered compatible gear needs Pro Tools M-Powered to be purchased seperately...it doesn't come with the hardware like LE does.

Ignition. said:
Do i need to buy an interface? What kind?

i guess it depends on your budget. either way, you have to buy a supported interface, so for PT LE you either get an Mbox or a digi002, if you're going m-powered then you have to buy an m-audio interface.

PT will not work if your interface is not plugged in. PT LE comes with more standard plugs that m-powered does i believe. for the time being you'll probably be content with the plugs that come with LE, so won't need any outboard yet, but that may be something you change in the future.

Most all the newer macs can work well with Pro Tools.

Not yet, the only one that will work with PT is the G5 (all the other ones are intel based)

Compatibility Alert — New Apple Intel-based Macs

* Pro Tools (HD, LE and M-Powered) is NOT currently compatible with the new Apple iMac, MacBook Pro, or Mac mini computers with Intel Core Duo or Intel Core Solo processors
* Pro Tools is not a universal binary
* Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 & Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 for Intel-based Macs are currently expected to be available near the end of May, 2006
* Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 & Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 for Intel-based Macs will be free downloads for all Pro Tools LE 7.x and Pro Tools M-Powered owners
* Upoming Release Announcement

Back