Plug-in power?

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
Would i be right in saying that plug-ins use up processor power and RAM?
I am wanting to buy a new computer and set it up so that it can handle loads of plug-ins. Like 60 plug-ins or so to be on the safe side incase i record a song with many many tracks.
Ive heard the Pentium4 is good but the athalons are cheaper.

Anyone know what kind of computer setup i would need to be able to handle a large amount of plug-ins smoothly?

Have you thought about a UAD-1 card? it has great plugs and the card does all the processing for you, less strain on your comp.... Me I use Waves Diamond bundle so I built another comp and linked it with my original and the 2nd comp is only for processing my plug-ins!!!

Along with the UAD card that off-loads the plug processing to another CPU (of course you can only run THEIR specific plugs), there are programs like www.fxteleport.com that let you use the other computers on your network to run the plugs and even stand-alone boxes like www.plugzilla.com

But it depends on the plugs. There are some out there that will bring your computer to its knees with just a few running, so don't get greedy 'cause there's just so much that even top-of-the-line computers can do. If your sequencer software has a "Freeze" function learn how to use it.

Cheers all.
So would an AMD 64-bit 3500 SKT 939 (processor) and a 1GB DDR 400/PC 3200 (RAM) possibly not be enough to run like 60 plug-ins?! :eek:

It really is more dependent on what plugs you are talking about.. I mean, most plugs seem like nothing compared to something like the Waves IR-1.. So, it can't really be said if it can or not..

I'm running a Pentium4 3.2 Ghz 64bit, with 2GB of RAM and I've had no errors saying I'm running out of CPU. I've used up to about 30 plug-ins max.

GOODLAND said:
I'm running a Pentium4 3.2 Ghz 64bit, with 2GB of RAM and I've had no errors saying I'm running out of CPU. I've used up to about 30 plug-ins max.
Sounds promising.

TimOBrien said:
there are programs like www.fxteleport.com that let you use the other computers on your network to run the plugs[/url]
I was using a studio with Pro Tools HD and Digi192 using Waves plug-ins. I know there is TDM and RTAS plug-ins for Pro Tools. I was using like 30 TDM and only a few RTAS when the CPU was low. Am i right in saying that TDM is powered by the Digi192 and RTAS by the computer?
If i could get a box like the Digi192 but not expensive like the Digi192 my problems would be solved.

ecktronic said:
Am i right in saying that TDM is powered by the Digi192 and RTAS by the computer?

The Tdm system does all the plug processing for tdm plugs.
The rtas processing is done in Native (your computer)

Id pick up a couple few uad cards if it was me.

Best plugs on the market IMO, and they come with thier own processing cards.

=Finster

xfinsterx said:
Id pick up a couple few uad cards if it was me.

Best plugs on the market IMO, and they come with thier own processing cards.
=Finster

So that would free up CPU for using Direct-X and VST plug-ins yeah?

Had a look for info on UAD cards and couldnt find out how much they cost or how much power they can handle.

ecktronic said:
Am i right in saying that TDM is powered by the Digi192 and RTAS by the computer?
Yeah you're basically right there, but for the sake of clarification, TDM plugins are handled by the Accel card, which is a card installed in the host computer (the more Accel cards you have, the more TDM plug-ins you can process). RTAS plug-ins, yes, are handled by the host CPU. The 192 is simply an interface and doesn't do any processing for plugins.

Back