PC upgrade question...

douglas

I am going to upgrade my pc soon and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about issues or incompatibilites with any recording software or hardware. My current system is an ASUS TX-97X motherboard with a 200mhz CPU. I am thinking of going to an ASUS P2B motherboard and an Intel Celeron or PII.

Thanks!
...douglas

Hi Douglas,

Sounds like a good upgrade. I would get the ASUS P2B-F though, this is the newer version as the P2B is discontinued. As for the processor, I would get a Celeron 400, and not waste $ on a PII 512K (put the saved money in to memory or something).

Emeric

Emeric,

Thanks for the reply and advice. I wasn't certain about the processor and was leaning towards the P2. But as you said, if the only real difference is that the Celeron has a smaller on-chip cache...well that is not that big a deal. As you mentioned, it would be better to purchase more memory!

Again, thanks...
...douglas

I use both (P-II and Celeron) at 450 and 433 MHz, respectively and I found out the hard way that the Celeron can do the job for a lot less. The extra cache helps out only when your O/S repeatedly asks for the same file from the HD and this file can fit within the cache. The Celeron board is also an ASUS. Make sure your memory is PC-100. ASUS makes models for the Celeron that support either the older, slower memory or PC-100. In addition to more memory, consider spending the savings on a faster/ larger HD. In IDE drives, this means 7200 RPM vs. 5400 RPM rotational speed. I've seen the IBM Deskstar 13.4 GB 7200 RPM drive (IBM rates this HD as 14.4 GB using a funky definition of a GB, but it's still a really nice drive) for $181 via mail order. And before you drool over the Ultra ATA-66 HDs make sure this standard is supported by your IDE controller. It's still really new.

Thanks for the additional information concering the celeron vs. p2 battle. I forgot about my hd's role in all of this. I will have to verify its performance. Thanks for the tip.
...douglas

Thanks for the additional information concering the celeron vs. p2 battle. I forgot about my hd's role in all of this. I will have to verify its performance. Thanks for the tip.
...douglas

Back