P.A. to Sound Card question...

JohnnyThrillkil

Please help me, guys. I'm starting to get computer rage!!auugghh!!

I've got a 4 channel, Ross Systems, 170 watt PA that I am trying to run through my sound card. There is no marked "Line out" output, so I have been trying to run RCA's with adaptors from the Tape in/Tape out ins/outs of my PA, to my sound card's line input.
Uh, well, it ain't working.

I was just about to try running a 1/4" speaker chord from the speaker outputs into the sound card, when I caught your page on sound card basics. I guess that's a no-no, eh? LOL.

My question though is, if I'm not suppose to use a speaker output to connect to the sound card, what do I use? What exactly would the difference be between this or a "line output" <which I don't seem to have>?

The only other output on my PA that I see, is a 1/4" "Effects Send" and "Effects Return" in/out.

Pleez help!!

not sure if i follow but: you never run a speaker out of a powered mixer or power amp into a soundcard.....tape outs should work ...line outs are best.....effects send will work as line outs........is there a monitor out?..have you been able to get your computer to recognize any type of signal? this is the place to start.. what soundcard?

The tape outs will definatly do the job. What are you using as recording software? Something you can check is right click on the speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen and then open volume controls. Make sure the line input is checked and not muted. Also make sure you're going into the line input on the sound card and not the mic input. If you want to verify that audio is getting out of the mixer patch it to an aux in or tape in or CD in on a home stereo and see if you get some sound. Lots of things you can check. Good luck.:D

still tryin'

Well, I have tried unsuccessfully to run a line out of the TAPE out on my PA to the sound card. I've made sure it is running into the LINE input on the sound card, too. It seems when I do run it through the MIC input, I actually get a level response from the record meter in the program I am using, but no actual sound. I'm using MAGIX music studio 2000, BTW.

There really is no other output on this PA other than the speaker outputs. The only other one is a 1/4" output labeled "Effects Send" <right next to an Effects Return input> I guess I will try a 1/4" speaker chord with an 1/8" adapter for the sound card. Isn't it just made for effects pedals and such?

oh and....

oh, and nothing is mute checked in the volume controls, and the correct input is selected in the recording tab. My sound card is a Yamaha DS-XG.

baffling....

thanks for helping....

Back