overclocking a Celeron

thememuzik

How do I go about overclocking a Celeron? How will this help me in recording?

What I have is a Hewlett Packard 4450. The Celeron chip is currently at 366MHz with 64MB of RAM. Let me know of some sites to check out if you can.

Overclocking is simply a means of cranking your processor speed. Obviously if your processor can process 100 million more instructions per second you're going to see at least *some* improvement in performance.

With an HP you might be shit outta luck. But I can give you a start.

Well, I spent the last 10 minutes basically writing a book. I can get out of hand sometimes. Let me just tell you what to look for on the web...searching for "overclocking" is a good place to start. With a Celeron you need to be aware of ALL of the following:

1) Celerons have fixed multipliers meaning that overclocking requires that you adjust the bus speed.

2) You will not be able to overclock your Celeron if your motherboard does not support bus speeds over 66Mhz (e.g. LX boards). Test: If your mobo supports the PII at 350 or higher, it is a BX board and you might be able to overclock. Also, Intel has incorporated a special pin into their processors that tells the chipset what bus speed to run. I believe this is pin B121 on the celeron but I'm not positive. That means that you won't be able to overclock unless you have a motherboard that either ignores this pin (ABIT!!!!) or you stick a piece of teflon tape over the pin.

3) The best thing is to have a motherboard with a lot of selectable bus speeds since that's the only way to overclock the celeron (and all above). The jump from 66 to 100Mhz is a massive jump in CPU speed...good luck with a 366. I can only get my 400 to 500 via an 83Mhz bus. If I set the bus speed to 100 then my processor would have to run at 600Mhz! No way. Abit boards are made for overclockers. I know that the BX6 has a shitload of bus speeds and the BE6 only supporsts 66, 75, 83, and 100 (plus some higher). (oh and Abit boards ignore that whole pin B121 thing I mentioned)

4) CPU Speed = Bus Speed x Clock Multiplier. All Celerons are supposed to run at 66 so your clock multiplier is set at 5.5. 66 x 5.5 = ~366.

5) Your PCI bus typically runs at either 1/3 or 1/2 of the bus speed (whichever causes it to be greater than or equal to 33Mhz). Pay attention to this. The PCI bus is supposed to run at 33Mhz. So on a celeron system it's running at half the speed of the system bus. Note the following if you overclock:

66Mhz bus speed = 33Mhz PCI bus speed
75Mhz bus speed = ~37Mhz PCI bus speed
83Mhz bus speed = ~41Mhz PCI bus speed
100Mhz bus speed = 33Mhz PCI bus speed

Let's not get into the why and how, but not that overclocking the PCI bus can be damaging to your hardware (esp. video cards). I haven't had problems on my system though.

6) If you overclock and your system hangs after booting up fully and you've used it for a few minutes, you probably have a heat problem. You should get a decent cooling system for your processor.

7) If you can't get the thing to work at a certain speed, try upping the voltage to the CPU by very small amounts. Watch the CPU temperature when you do this crap. Your mobo will have to support this.

8) God damnit watch your temperature. Overclocking can be very damaging. You can lose your CPU, your motherboard, and hardware like video cards, etc. The best thing in the world to have is hardware monitoring of the CPU and system temperatures.

9) You probably won't have any luck at all with the HP so don't even try. :)

10) All your going to get out of overclocking your Celeron is near PII performance. Might as well just buy a PII as they're not that much more.

So start searchin the net looking for answers. Note everything that I've mentioned and look for better explainations elsewhere. Most sites will only give you half the story...you need to know it all.

I'm guessing that in the best case you could get that processor up to the ~450 range or maybe even ~500. However 5.5 x 100 = 550 and I don't think you'd get that without narly cooling.

Slackmaster 2000

2 good links... oddly enough www.overclockers.com ... never surfed the site myself , but just wanted you to know its there... also check out http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/celeron_oc/ for good beginner advice on overclocking...thats where i learned about it... you probably cant do it with a hewlett packard , but if your going to be buliding another computer for audio , its good to look into..im thinking of over clocking a $65 300 celron to 450 for a little while , until the pIII 600 prices drop a bit... then again.. the pIII 500 is affordable to me..ugghh.. such dilemas..ah well...i cant do a damn thing until memory prices drop.. i refuse to pay 3 times the price for something that there isnt really a shortage of... by that time the 1 gigahertz chip should be out... hmmnn.. maybe ill put off buying that new car for the new chip...

forever procrastinating ,

- eddie -

Back