Normalizing & Finalizing ?

BluMusic

A couple of days ago I was in a music store when I over-heard this guy telling someone that even though you get an excellent mixdown and you've applied just the right amount of filters that don't take away from the overall quality of your project, it will still sound like crap until you get it normalized for airplay.

What does that mean?

It was totally unclear to me but not knowing much about Mastering, I thought I was learning something important. Is the Mastering process a part of rendering your project suitable for Airplay? The reason I ask this question is because many years ago, I was part of a group that did a song in the Studio and a one time very famous musician claimed he Mastered it for us to use for this Radio Interview. So we took this tape to the Radio Station and it sounded horrible on Air from what we were told by friends listening to the program.

A couple of days ago I was in a music store when I over-heard this guy telling someone that even though you get an excellent mixdown and you've applied just the right amount of filters that don't take away from the overall quality of your project, it will still sound like crap until you get it normalized for airplay.

What does that mean?
It means this guy doesn't know a whole lot and is throwing around words to descibe how to master audio for airplay. In sales, it's dazzle them with brilliance or baffle them with bullshit. This guy chose the latter.

Back