New to board.. Need advice

pablotx

Howdy folks,

Been recording a few bands at my home studio and have produced suprisingly good product. Even so, I recently have decided to overhaul my studio and start from the ground up. That is where I need a lot of advice. I think my current setup is good, but rather amateurish, and I want to be more efficient and have more to offer potential clients.
First off: Right now I am using a PIII 866, 512 RAM, 80 G, with Delta 66 & Omnistudio. Using Cubase VST 24, Soundforge, Wavelab, Samplitude, and Sonar.

What type of computer should I go to? Mac or PC. I know that there are some strong arguments for both sides. If I went with Mac, I would have to learn a new Operating System and then move to a relatively cheap ??? version of ProTools. Quality wise and feasibility wise, what should I do? I need advice on Systems, Software, Hardware (Interface, Soundcard). Any advice and descriptions of quality setups would be helpful. I thank you in advance for any responses.

The PC you currently have is sufficient. But if you must upgrade I would go with a
P4 2.4-3.0 GHz CPU
ASUS Mobo
Good quite fans(CPU and 2 case fans)
Maybe HD cooler fans
High quality CDR(Yamaha-Plextor)
52X CD Rom
Round IDE cables
AGP video(keep at 16bit when recording)
2 HD's (Western Digital with 8Mb buffer)
512-1.0GHz DDR 2700 ram

The soundcard interface ? Depends on your needs.
2 ins & outs ? 4? 8? 10? Analog ? SPDIF ? Lightpipe ? Firewire ? USB ? PCI ?

The software you have...if you have learned it...why switch

Thanks for the speedy response

Why switch the software? I have heard that there are newer, better versions available. I wonder what everyone is recommending. I have heard good things about Cubase XS. Also the new Audio Logic. Now soundcards, interface another story. I want to be able to record a full kit with individual tracks. I am looking at a Delta 1010 or MOTU 2496. Not sure. Also, ADAT or no ADAT? Advantages, disadvantages? Thanks again.

Re: Thanks for the speedy response

pablotx said:
Why switch the software? I have heard that there are newer, better versions available. I wonder what everyone is recommending. I have heard good things about Cubase XS. Also the new Audio Logic. Now soundcards, interface another story. I want to be able to record a full kit with individual tracks. I am looking at a Delta 1010 or MOTU 2496. Not sure. Also, ADAT or no ADAT? Advantages, disadvantages? Thanks again.
The Logic series which is what I use has a large learning curve.
The newest 6.0v is only available for MAC. no more PC versions after 5.5 and no windows support.
You said you have Sonar which is widely used here by folks and recommended. Cubase is ok too. You can always purchase an upgrade for half the cost (usually)
The Delta 1010 is a proven and reliable unit, many user here for this as well. This as Im sure you are aware is a PCI card with a breakout box.
ADAT would be for digital transfers
SPDIF for digital transfers also or if you have digital gear with spdif outs.

Back