Need a new interface... any suggestions?

dkerwood

So I just picked up a new laptop:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66GHz processor
1G fast memory
160G hd...

Unfortunately, between that and my new Mackie 1604 desk, my budget is running a bit low, so I need some suggestions for a good (and inexpensive) FW or USB interface. I'd like 4 simultaneous inputs at the minimum (preferably 8).

Thoughts?

Hey

what about something like a cardbus solution. I recently bought an EMU 1616M, and so far I'm quite impressed. It has several limitations, but lots of benefits like a low CPU overhead, and some great sounds. I wrote a review on another board. I'll dig out the link and post it later :)

Cheers

John

Stay away from USB. You'll regret it. Especially with the expectation of that many inputs simultaneously. Look at firewire.

Good luck!

Bulls Hit said:
For 8 inputs, you can't go wrong with the firepod. Mfriend are throwing in a condensor mic as well for the $500

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...-FireWire-Interface-with-Cubase-LE?sku=184131

I concur , I got one for Christmas and could not be happier with the results . I'm even able to daisy chain my old Behringer 2 channel firewire thru it to get 10 tracks now .

PS , the MXL 990 condenser is a pretty decent mic . I'm going to get a second to pair with it because they work very well as room mic's for recording drums . Lots of low and mid punch without the harsh sounding hi end that my small condensers seem to have , over accentuating the cymbals .

punkin said:
Stay away from USB. You'll regret it. Especially with the expectation of that many inputs simultaneously. Look at firewire.

Good luck!

Why do u say that? I just picked an M-audio Fast Track pro!
Can someone tell me what the pad button is for?

The pad button is a 20 dB attenuator. Push it and the input signal to your computer drops 20 dB (that's a lot). Used mostly in cases where you're recording a very loud signal like drums or a guitar amp/cabinet.

So, don't take the USB comment as a knock. If it works for you great! USB is just a bit "old-school" and compared to the performance of Firewire and/or the even dated PCI it's a bit disadvantaged. I'll go on by saying, I do have a Delta USB Quattro (talk about old school). I take it with me when I travel and have to record to a laptop. Hey, it works!

Lets recall that the original poster was asking for minimum 4 input channels but wished for 8. I'm a huge M-Audio fan so I was thinking...Delta 1010LT. You can pick it up for roughly the same amount as your USB box. Great bang for the buck unless you're tied to a laptop...the pci thingy won't work there. you get SPDIF, MIDI, two preamps (lame but they work) and a total of 8 analog inputs and the same number of outputs and the converters...very very nice for the dollars spent.

So,...that's why I said what I said.

Peace onto you and all those around you.

Back