Motu 828mki

Altaire

This is for anybody who has had one of these.

I just bought an mki off ebay, I have my inputs hooked up, they register on the light panel, but there is no sound coming out of the phone or monitor outputs. Ive messed with the gain knobs, nothing.am i missing something or do i have to go find this mufucka so i can whoop his ass

I have the original 828 so I might not be that helpful. What type of computer do you have? What software are you using? Have you specified inputs/outputs and record enabled tracks? Have you checked to see that the drivers are properly set? Did you try shutting your system down and restarting after the 828 has been switched on? Is the firewire cable attached correctly? Have you gone as far as reinstalling drivers or updating them? Have you posted at Unicornation.com?

I have the original 828 too...Im using WinXP with Audition

I dont know how to specify in and out and record enabled tracvks, the only thing I got from the download page was Cuemix which doesnt seem to do anything and audio console or something which just lets you pick which outs are being used i guess, but ive switched on the ose and they dont do anything... like Im not even getting to the computer hearing the audio, it wont play through the head[phone jack or the monitor outs!

drivers are set? I checked the drivers and it said the motu is working properly

yeah i switched it on and off

the cables set

i havent reinstaled the drivers

i will try posting at unicornation tho...so have u had these problems?? u got any suggestions? the lights on the front are registering sound input, just nothing comes out

My original 828 is running on an i-mac with OS 10.4 using Digital Performer. Since we don't have the same operating system or recording software, it's hard to suggest what to do. It sounds like you're not setting up your recording software (Audition) to record, monitor or hear what you're playing. Usually, you have to configure drivers outside the software AND the software itself. The drivers give you options like inputs, outputs, clock settings, etc. and it sounds like you have those set. I'm guessing that in Audition, you also have to tell the software what track to record, what type of input to record (analog, digital, etc.), where the track will end up (output), and whether or not it's audio, MIDI, etc. You probably also have to set the track type to mono or stereo. If Audition is anything like Digital Performer, you may also have some type of input monitoring mode, which tells the software whether or not to record through effects or direct. In addition, Audition will probably have some type of mixing board window with a record enable button and a mute or solo. Any of these things can keep you from hearing sound, so you will have to check them all.

I would start by confirming that your software can record without monitoring. Consult your software manual and look for a quickstart guide to recording. Follow those steps and check to see if Audition actually recorded something. You should see some type of audio wave form that indicates that sound was recorded. If you can record, then you know it's a simple but frustrating monitoring issue.

Sorry I can't be more specific. If Unicornation doesn't solve your issue, maybe there is an Audition user's group or forum that can take you through the process on that end. Again, it sounds like it's amonitoring problem and the answer probably lies in the way Audition is setup. Good luck. This stuff is frustrating especially when you find the magic button, push it, and--viola--sound!

thanks...see the thing about that is, even if the software isnt configured right, that shouldnt affect the fact that the unti itself isnt putting out sound even to the monitor outs and headphones, right? I mean that goes straight out...Thats what makes me think its something in the unit itself not turned on to put out sound. Im gonna tinker with it some more though, thanks

my driver only has a couple options, buffer size, sample rate, monitor inputs, but no option to switch the inputs on and off unless thats what the monitor inputs do and my box just doesnt work

Altaire said:
thanks...see the thing about that is, even if the software isnt configured right, that shouldnt affect the fact that the unti itself isnt putting out sound even to the monitor outs and headphones, right? I mean that goes straight out...Thats what makes me think its something in the unit itself not turned on to put out sound. Im gonna tinker with it some more though, thanks

I believe the original 828 is dependent on a computer/software setup. In other words, the preamps etc. won't route sound straight to the monitor/headphone outs unless you have it configured to do so on your computer. So, even if you see the front panel lights flashing, you won't hear anything unless your software and drivers are setup correctly.

Back