Modem question Part II

pdlstl

First of all, I'd like to comment on what a great board this is. I posted my first question yesterday and received more responses than all of the other recording boards I frequent combined!

Thanks for all of the responses!

I went home yesterday and did some snooping in my hard drive. I have an issue I would like to ask about. This may be elementary, but so am I.

First off, when I click Ctrl-Alt-Delete, this is what I'm seeing. I know what some of them are but am wondering what the essential programs I need to keep up and running when I'm recording. I searched for these on my drive and locations/info are to the right:

1.) Explorer (probably need to keep this going)
2.) Bwdelay (C:\Program\Files\BackWeb)
3.) Osd (C:\Programs\Netropa)
4.) Mcvsrte (Indicates it has something to do with McAfee. I suppose this can go too.)
5.)Hidserv (C:\Windows\System)
6.) Mcupdate (Another McAfee program)
7.) Imgicon (I believe this has to do with USB Zip drive. I can probably thurn this off)
8.) Rundll (Got a feeling this one is important.)
9.) BackWebAgent (Found nothing on this one.)
10.) Systray (Important?)
11.)Devldr16 (C:\Windows\Options\Cab blah, blah, blah)
12.) Ahqtb (Something to do with SBLive!)

If you don't mind, could someone please indicate (by number) which programs are absolutely essential to keep my system up and running? And also, where would I go to define which programs I want to load upon start-up?

Thanks to all,

Earl

pdlstl said:
1.) Explorer (probably need to keep this going)
2.) Bwdelay (C:\Program\Files\BackWeb)
3.) Osd (C:\Programs\Netropa)
4.) Mcvsrte (Indicates it has something to do with McAfee. I suppose this can go too.)
5.)Hidserv (C:\Windows\System)
6.) Mcupdate (Another McAfee program)
7.) Imgicon (I believe this has to do with USB Zip drive. I can probably thurn this off)
8.) Rundll (Got a feeling this one is important.)
9.) BackWebAgent (Found nothing on this one.)
10.) Systray (Important?)
11.)Devldr16 (C:\Windows\Options\Cab blah, blah, blah)
12.) Ahqtb (Something to do with SBLive!)

If you don't mind, could someone please indicate (by number) which programs are absolutely essential to keep my system up and running? And also, where would I go to define which programs I want to load upon start-up?

Absolutely essentail?

1. Explorer - and even though you really don't need it, I dont think your system will run without - 10. Systray

Things you can keep but don't need to is 12. (Thats just the little icon in the corner that allows you to access the SBLive! Control Panel.

8. Rundll, I'm not to sure. I know run32dll (or rundll32 whatever) might of been important had it been in there... but I don't see either on any of my PCs... That could just be a properties window opened up or something.

Let me put it this way: the only background programs I have in common with you are Explorer and Systray. That's all you *really* need. However, it is true that if you just throw everything out willy-nilly, some of your stuff won't work. So if you really want to run stripped-down for recording, I suggest you create separate user profiles. First of all, download the program TweakAll. Then go to the control panel (I think), and double-click on Passwords. Go to the user profiles tab and make sure 'Users can customize their preferences and desktop settings' is selected. Then reboot, and it'll ask you to type in a user name. Do this twice--one name for your normal computer work and one name for recording. Once you have these two profiles, make sure you're logged in under your normal name, and under the 'Run Programs' section of TweakAll, change everything but explorer and systray to 'Registry run--current user' or whatever it says. You'll probably have to select 'new entry' and type them in again, because it won't let you just change it from 'all users' to 'current user'.

Or just 86 the damn programs and be done with it.

First, before you get into any OS tweaking. Did you ever resolve the initial problem. Was your Delta on its on IRQ, did you try any of the things in the other thread?

Emeric,

I did a screenshot of the irq's but then realized I can't post img's on this board.

Here's what I discovered regarding irq's:

10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering

10 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller 2 (I believe this is my USB Zip drive)

10 WDM Communications Device (possibly the unused modem?)

10 M-Audio Delta 44

It looks as if there 5 items (devices?) sharing irq 10.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ear;

Yeah, lets get your delta on it's own IRQ. Have you pulled out the modem yet? This may automagically put the Delta on another IRQ. If not,

- Rearrange cards. Try putting different cards in different slots and seeing what IRQ's they end up on. When you first boot your machine up you will see a short list of your hardware and what IRQ's they are using. Although, I think you said your using an HP, so perhaps you won't see that screen.

- Disable ACPI in BIOS if possible. This will free up another IRQ. If you don't use a printer, disable the printer port and disable serial ports 1 and 2.

These are just things to try, they work or may not. They may cause more problems. But these are the steps I would take.

Another approach would be to pull out all the cards except video.

- boot up in safe mode (pound on the f8 key around 120BPM after the memory count. Again, you probably won't see this if your on an HP/Compaq/Dell etc.) You should be brought to a menu, select safe mode. Go to device manager. Remove the soundcard listing(s), modem, network card listing. The purpose for doing this is so we don't end up with a bunch of ghost/duplicate entries in device manager.

Shut the machine down.

Put one card in, the delta for instance. Put it in the first PCI slot beside the Video.

Boot up, install the drivers if it doesn't automatically. Note what IRQ it ended up on in device manager.

Proceed with the other cards, noting which PCI slot and which IRQ they end up on.

I do think you should resolve this IRQ issue before carrying on with the software tweaks.

Good luck.

Emeric,

I really appreciate the info!

I will probably wait until this weekend to do this so I have plenty of time and will report back with the results.

Thanks,

Earl

I had a problem getting my digital card working. I removed all cards (in Device Manager and physicaly) except for my NIC for the cable modem. Then rebooted.

Uninstalled my recording software (Logic Audio).

Then I installed the Digital card and drivers (Roland RPC-1) and rebooted.

Reinstalled my Logic software and rebooted.

Everything worked fine after that.

Forgot to add-

The IRQ conflict is the most obvious problem. My card was sharing an IRQ also.

Doing what I said above will give your card it's own IRQ.

I also forgot to mention that I left the AGP video card in (duh).

Back