Minimum requirements?

fingerbuster

Any of you recording guru's willing to explain the (basic) requirements of a pc for half reasonable results? I have a duplex sound card (1010) a 900 amd and 40 gig hd. 256 ram. Will this be sufficient? Is there any benefit in having 2 hard drives? What, in your sage opinion(s) should i be looking to set meself up with?

Thanx in advance. FB.

It all depends on what you will be doing with your system. The spec you describe there, will record tracks, but when you attempt to record multiple tracks, your computer may start to die on you.. 256 Ram is the bare minimum, so i would suggest, if possible, also depending on what your doing, trying to upgrade to 512Mb. 40Gb Hard drive is fine, if you start to run short on that you can buy another firewire HD.

Again, it would be helpful to know what your intentions are so we can see if that machine will be ok with things.

Peace :rolleyes:

i used to record on a p3 450 with 256 MB ram and a 10gb HD. not much of a problem there, but i only recorded myself playing the guitar demos. i did manage to record an 8 track song on it with no problem. i'm thinking of using it again for some recording, but my basement isnt quite hospitable enough to hang out in yet. whoever finished it before i moved in did a crappy job. in summary, your system will work just fine

I still use a Pentium 2 with 128 megs, but what's important is I've had no need to upgrade this system. I only use Vegas Audio 2.0 with this system, so I can only speak on that experience.

yo dude...its true that your better off with a more powerfull machine but it is certainly not necessary. I recorded and album of music on a 333 cyrix e-machine with 32 megs of ram. I ran Samplitude and had no problem with ten or more tracks. True...more might be better, but as with most things in life, its what you do with what you got. Good luck.

Back