MIDI to Audio using a keyboard's sounds - question

HomeRec

I know that the subject of "how do I record MIDI to audio" has been done. Many times. I understand the difference between the two, as well as the basic premise that you need to record the audio output of a device that plays MIDI in order to use it as an audio track.

This brings me to my question. It is a bit tricky, as I am looking to buy, rather than already have, equipment. First, the anticipated situation: an Aardvark Pro 24/96 card/breakout box combo with a basic General MIDI-compatible keyboard and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (included with the Aardvark).

The desired result would be to record previously sequenced MIDI tracks, using the appropriate sounds on my keyboard, to an audio track. I know an internal card such as an SB Live! can play MIDI, but how would you set it up so that the keyboard's sounds are used instead of the sound card's?

I'm fairly certain you'd have to hook up audio output from the keyboard to a line in on the breakout box, but am unsure of the MIDI connections/configuration involved.

My concern is that the Aardvark card does not have an onboard synthesizer. I'm hoping that the scenario would involve the program sending the MIDI signal back through the breakout box to the keyboard, which would then play the notes to be recorded through the line out connection to the breakout box.

If I haven't lost/confused/flummoxed everybody, let me know if I'm on the right or wrong track, and any helpful hints/information that would be good to know.

Last edited:
O K first of all you are gonna need a midi interface that allows you to run your midi cables from the computer to the external synthesizer. Midiman makes one called the Midisport 2x2 and the cost is about 50$...if you have a sound card installed in your puter like the SBlive you can use the joystick connector. The midiman is a usb device but if you prefer a parallel interface Motu makes one called the pocket expresss..it is a 2 in 4 out interface that has SMPTE capabilities..smpte is not something you would need now but a nice feature to have for future flexibility.

Once you have the midi interface installed and set up within Cakewalk..You decide what tracks you want to record to..arm them..click record and your mid compostion will play your outboard synthesizer and you would route the outputs back to a mixer or directly to the Aardvark breakout box and record.

That was a condensed version of the procedure by the way :)
holla back if you need more clarification

So there is no way to go out to the keyboard using the breakout box on the Aardvark 24/96? I was hoping that the MIDI OUT connector on the back of the breakout box would be able to carry the MIDI data back to the keyboard.

Home, I think you got it right.

You will need to connect your keyboard's audio outs to the aadvark's inputs.

I dont know the AArdvark, does it have midi? if not, you will need a midi interface. Midisport 2x2 is a great choice at $75, if you have USB ports.

In Cakewalk, you can easily choose which midi source will play, i.e. soundblaster card, your keyboard, a sound module, etc.

I have an Alesis and a Roland, so I can choose which instrument I want in cakewalk. Cakewalk uses instrument definitions, which basically is the info on your synth patches and what they are.

Once you get cakewalk installed, it should be rather easy to understand.
Just curious, what keyboard are you thinking about?

If the Aardvark has midi connections, then that will do just fine.
I was being general in my answer to explain the process.

Make both connections Midi in and Midi out so that you can have two way transfers. Remember, Midi Out of Aardvark to MIdi IN on the Keyboard or external synth...and Midi IN ..to Midi OUT on the Keyboard or external synth.

DavidK

The Aardvark 24/96 does have MIDI in/out on the breakout box. The PCI card itself doesn't have an onboard synth, like an SB Live! or similar card. My guess/hope/theory is that the following would get the result I'm looking for:

(1) Connect MIDI OUT from keyboard to MIDI IN on 24/96 breakout box.
(2) Connect MIDI OUT from 24/96 breakout box to MIDI IN on keyboard
(3) Connect AUDIO OUT (dedicated or headphones... not sure) to LINE IN on breakout box.

With this configuration, hopefully, Cakewalk (or any other compatible MIDI software) would be able to capture incoming MIDI data (connection 1), then (later on) play it back through the keyboard (connection 2) and record it as an audio track (connection 3). Let me know if that's correct...

As for keyboards, up until a week or so ago, I was looking at the Yamaha PSR-540, but they seem to have bumped it up to the 550, which has a lot more Wave ROM for voices and a backlit display. The keyboard (at least the 540) sounds good, and I like the onboard sequencing and handy disk drive for MIDI files. Plus, with more Wave ROM, the sounds will hopefully be even better, so that's the keyboard I'm looking at now.

However, I am keeping an eye out for other, potentially better options for around the same price. I recently posted in the Keyboards forum.

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=30609

If you have any recommendation for a good keyboard/synth in the same price range, let me know.

Hmm...

...your replies must have hit the board as I was typing in mine. :)

So my thoughts on the MIDI connections were correct. Good to know. Made sense, but you never know. :D

Thanks for your help, and for the information.

Back