Mic VS. Pre amp

rapper2001

If a person wanted to purchase a pre-amp and a decent microphone but don't have enough money for both, which one would you recommend?

-------------------------> A Mic or an Pre amp?

If you bought a mic...then you would need a pre...unless, of course you you own a pre...the same can be said for a pre...if you own that...then...The point I'm trying to make...what is your budget? Before you can decide on anything, you need to determine how much $$$ you want to spend. Heck, if don't any money, use your plastic...enjoy life...I'm only kidding! Anyway, the bottom line is your budget.

lavoz

Do you really need a Pre amp in order to use a mic :( dat spoiled my day. Um gonna, well i mean my father about to buy me the Audiophile card, & i don't have no job or money to tell you the truth. I only have enough money to atleast buy the SM58 mic but no money left to get a pre amp. I wanna buy the Audio Buddy which only costs about $79, but it's a shame i can't afford dat. But i probably can afford it if i don't buy the sm58.....so if a pre amp is mandatory then i gotta get it or i can't record nothing right? Can't i just plug a mic in the Audiophile and record from there?

i see you are about to get a Audiophile soundcard....does the computer you will be recording to have a soundcard in it already?.....

Id wait on the Audiophile and get a Shuresm57 and Audio Buddy.....that awesome soundcard wont do you any good without anything to input into it.....

lol.... thx Gidge but soundcards always come first. I'll just use my Starpower mic & go ahead and get an Audio Buddy. I already know what imma do about the mic situation. Thank you all for the help. Peace!!!!!!!!!

you can get a sm57 for $79 new...cheaper if you buy used.....they are pretty indestructible so they are a safer buy when going used.....

Rapper2001
These guys are giving you good advise.Go with a used SM57 (probably about $50).It is the workhorse mic you see in the lockers of just about every studio out there.Regarding the AudioBuddy,I just bought one recently.It has TONS of gain and is audibly better than the pres in my c-port.
Tom

Thx for the tips yall. I will go ahead and see can i get the sm57 used or not. When i get it all setup i'll tell you all about it. Thanks again.

Rapper2001

Back