Media Player codec

Is there a codec for Window's Media Player so that it will play 24/48 or 24/96 audio files? I can't seem to find it at microsoft.com. Thanks.

Me too. However, you still need a soundcard that can handle it. No 16-bit soundcard is gonna let you hear a 24 bit sound file.

huh... that's wierd. I just use my FirePod as my sound card and that's 24/96 but if I try to open up 24/48 song files it tells me I need a codec for it. Before I was using version 9 but I just installed version 10 and the got the same message. That's strange.. I just intalled WinAmp though and it looks like that's playing my 24/48 files just fine.

yeah I've never had any luck with WMP playing my files. winamp and other players have always read those right away though.

Windows Media Player will not play 24 bit audio. I've looked all over for a codec but could'nt find one. I got Winamp and it works fine.

TravisinFlorida said:
Windows Media Player will not play 24 bit audio. I've looked all over for a codec but could'nt find one. I got Winamp and it works fine.

Sorry, but it actually does.

I just exported a track out of sonar as a 24/44.1 .wav file. Will not play in WMP but works fine in Winamp. I'm running WMP 10 and a m-audio 1010lt card. Any idea why it would'nt work? I get the "missing codec" error message.

Last edited:
I downloaded the windows media player professional codec. On the microsoft site it says that this codec will enable 24/96 playback. Still not working. I ran into this problem a long time ago and gave up. Looks like I'm givin up this time too. :D

When I first discovered that wmp would'nt play 24 bit audio, on my system, i tried everything that I could think of.........multiple versions of media player, uninstalling the previous verion each time that I installed the new one.

Back