MBox 2 Announced today... help me!

KonradG

Medicated Member
i went online to put in my order for an mbox. i found that as well as an mbox 2, announced today apparently. it has 4 simultaneous with 2 phantom power inputs with new pre amps, better plug ins, midi in, the list goes on.
www.digidesign.com
can someone tell me if i should turn down the $400 deal that includes the MBox (1), plugins, and an AT2020 mic. i play mostly acoustic music with bass and drums, i dont do fancy effects for the most part, i just need something i can put demo's and good recordings for myspace and shit. i dont have a condenser microphone and the AT2020 fits my vocals good, the mbox 2 is $450 but i would have to buy another mic, what should i do?

The only advantages i see to the MB2 are the MIDI i/o and the 4 inputs. BUT!!!! If you don't have MIDI and an S/PDIF device to use the extra I/O its not all that much of an advantage.

so far we only have Digi's word that the pres are better, too... the extra software that it comes with is pretty lame when you actually get into using it and its mostly cripple-ware designed to get you to buy the real thing. The only program I saw that excited me was BFD Lite.

To me, its worth the extra cash for the possibility of extra inputs. Lots of preamps have S/PDIF outs now, so you can upgrade from 2 ins to 4 at some point- more valualbe than you might think. I also don't know anything about the At2020, so I can't make any value comparisons.

I'm completely happy with my Mbox. While I'd like an Mbox2 I'm not rushing out to upgrade or anything. You'd *probably* do just as well saving the cash and getting the old Mbox. Its kind of a golden moment- what was $500 a few months ago has come way down in price. It won't last long before they are gone.

I'd let your budget decide and not the desire for more features. If you were already set to get an Mbox (and you understand the limitaitons it has) go for it. If the new features availible on the MB2 are changing your mind AND you have the budget to make use of them (i.e. buy a mic and an preamp with S/PDIF).... go for that.

Either way, enjoy!
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
The only advantages i see to the MB2 are the MIDI i/o and the 4 inputs. BUT!!!! If you don't have MIDI and an S/PDIF device to use the extra I/O its not all that much of an advantage.

so far we only have Digi's word that the pres are better, too... the extra software that it comes with is pretty lame when you actually get into using it and its mostly cripple-ware designed to get you to buy the real thing. The only program I saw that excited me was BFD Lite.

To me, its worth the extra cash for the possibility of extra inputs. Lots of preamps have S/PDIF outs now, so you can upgrade from 2 ins to 4 at some point- more valualbe than you might think. I also don't know anything about the At2020, so I can't make any value comparisons.

I'm completely happy with my Mbox. While I'd like an Mbox2 I'm not rushing out to upgrade or anything. You'd *probably* do just as well saving the cash and getting the old Mbox. Its kind of a golden moment- what was $500 a few months ago has come way down in price. It won't last long before they are gone.

I'd let your budget decide and not the desire for more features. If you were already set to get an Mbox (and you understand the limitaitons it has) go for it. If the new features availible on the MB2 are changing your mind AND you have the budget to make use of them (i.e. buy a mic and an preamp with S/PDIF).... go for that.

Either way, enjoy!
Chris

thanks alot for the advice man. now that i think about it, i understood the regulations like you said, its cool with me. i do mostly acoustic/vocal with bass and lite drums afterwards. plus if i need anything more heavy duty, a friend of mine from a successful band, he has 16 tracks simult. with pro tools and pro mic's, appreciate it chris.

conrad

Back