Mac Coreaudio and multiple devices (in Emagic Logic)

Dags

Hi gang

I hope this is the right place to seek help with this (there isn't a Mac or Logic software discussion group)

I have a [long, but hopefully concise] question which I'm hoping someone out there can help with.

Tech stuff:
Audio inputs: M-Audio Delta 1010

Audio outputs: Delta 1010 (independent volume control of vocals when recording, routing audio from HD)
Mac internal soundcard (hearing pre-recorded audio files when recording vocals/guitar, etc)

I have dabbled with OS X (Tiger) and Emagic Logic (Pro 6) and haven't had any success with getting Logic to recognise (in coreaudio devices) that I have a Delta1010 card that can be used at the same time as the Mac's internal audio card.
(yes, current drivers are loaded)

In OS9 I can have the recorded backing played out through the Mac's crackly soundcard and have the vocalist coming out one of the Delta's outs into a separate channel on the desk - if they want more volume/reverb I can give it to them independently of the pre-recorded music coming from the Mac AV. Logic under OS9 has native support of several devices as well as ASIO so you can use a number of them in unison.

In Core Audio for Logic there's only ONE device available at a time selectable in Logic's audio devices window (WTF??), but there's the ability to construct a 'multi-device' which supposedly combines ins & outs from various devices.
I had a go at setting up a multi-device (combining Mac AV 1&2, Delta 1 - 10) but when I select it in Logic's audio driver menu I can't get any sound at all from either device.

(Damn you Apple - why couldn't you have kept ASIO and VST as part of OSX?)

Hope you're still with me.
Any suggestions? Have I missed something about setting up multi-devices in coreaudio?
Is the rumour true that the problem lies with Logic's lack of proper coreaudio integration? (despite Apple owning Emagic)

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Dags

Back