M-Audio Audiophile USB

dave m

I have a Sony VAIO and want to upgrade my Soundcard. What do you guys think of the M-Audio Audiophile USB? It's about what I can afford and can get it at MF for 499.00. Will it work with my computer? I am running windows ME. Can I do up to 4 mics at once? It looks like I can. Do I need to get a seperate mic pre? If it has pres can I bypass and use my own? Thanks, I know these are alot of questions.

dave

by MF you mean musicians friend right?

and by 499.00 you mean 199.00 right?

I hope so.

Anyway, this would be a good soundcard for your laptop, and I'm pretty sure it would work with winME. But go to www.midiman.com and look at the download section to be sure (see if they have the drivers).

Also, note that you can actually only use two inputs at a time (either the rca or 1/4"). Unless you're using the spdif. Then I believe you can use a stereo spdif input in conjunction with two mono analog ins. And yes, you would need a preamp because the audiophile has none.

on a personal note, my buddy just got one and it's running without a hitch on his rather slow desktop pc. It's a nice little box.

Yes, Musicians Friend. And yes, 199.00. It doesn't look as though they list it anymore but I saw the Audiosport Quattro for 259.00. Man, there are so many that are about the same that I don't know which to get. I think the Quattro would be a good buy. Got any recommendations on a pre-amp? Do you know the diff. between the Quattro and the 24/96? They seem to do the same thing more or less.

thanks
dave

Well, it all depends on what you want to do... BTW The 24/96 wouldn't be an option for you since you have a laptop and it is a pci card. I think your best options are either the Audiophile USB or the Quattro.

How many tracks are you going to need? Keep in mind that for all practical purposes the Audiophile is only going to give you 2 channels of input and 2 outputs. (this is of course unless you are using the SPDIF's for ins or outs, which i'm assuming you're not).

The Quattro on the other hand (as the name implies) will give you FOUR inputs and FOUR outputs simultaneously. So if you will be doing more than two ins at once I would say go for the Quattro. The Quattro also features 1/4" connections which IMO are much more convenient than RCA (which the Audiophile has) in interfacing with almost all mixers and preamps.

Speaking of preamps, I'm not that knowledgeable on what's out there since right now I'm a broke college kid who's using the pre's on his little behringer mixer. But there are tons of threads discussing the best and worst of show.

Good luck !

Back