Low Latency i/o card for a laptop?

enferno

due to the fact that my amp isn't all that spectacular, i started messing around with combining miced and direct signals then processing them on my desktop studio computer.

i have 2 delta 1010lt's installed on there, so i can get pretty damn low latency, but still allow for quite a few plugins to fun before it starts to create artifacts.
i've gotten a decent tone, at least, better than what my amp seems to produce.

now i'm not posting for a lecture about amps vs. simulators etc., i work in a recording studio part time for well over a year and record bands at home: i know the difference it makes. however, my amp isn't all that spectacular, but i do have a decent laptoop, and when i process the signal i can get a better sound.

so my question is: what, if any exist, are some i/o cards for a laptop that can produce relatively low altency, but still allow for some processing?

Well, anything Firewire would do the trick. As far as laptop specific cards: Echo Indigo IO, and E-mu 1616m are two. If you wanted to spend even more, then you could go with an RME Multiface with a PCMCIA card for it.

i gues i kinda left that out huh?

it's not for post-tracking, it's for live playing. my intention is to run the guitar signal through it then back out into the board, real time.

If you need one with guitar inputs, I would consider the new Presonus Inspire. At $199, it's not too bad for a mobile live playback solution. I've used live (with my midi controller and hypersonic) a Firepod, Indigo IO, and now I'm trying out one of those new Behringer firewire units (the crowd grows angry in disbelief!!!) But I'm only using the Behri for playing through soft synths, and at $80, it is very cheap and very portable, plus I could send it back if it sucks. So far, it's working well for what I need it for.

Back