long cables

thirdrate

Anyone know of where I can get a long cable to hook up my mixer to my computer? I have a Monster 2 1/4" -> 1/8" miniplug, but it is only 6 ft, and I want to move the computer further away.

Or shoudl I just keep the computer nearby because of loss in quality?

Should be fine. High impedance lines like guitar cords and hi-z mics should be kept short (>15' or so) or you'll lose some highs.
cheers

You should be able to get 1/4" x 1/4" TRS cable in any length your little heart desires from just about any music store (Sam Ash, Guitar Center) or any online music store such as Zzounds, or Bay Audio, Mars Music, etc. Then just get a 1/4" x 1/8" adapter to go into your sound card.

As long as you use balanced cable the longer run should not present any problem.

(Mixsit - first time I've ever heard of losing highs through cable runs over 15' Generally noise is the only problem I'm aware of in long runs, and balanced cables should take care of that. You may want to recheck your info.)

1/4" TRS?

I've never seen TRS cable in any major online store, only some place in CA and it was pretty expensive. If you can find it in any Samash/Musician's Friend type place please tell where and what to type in the "search" field.

Dachay2tnr- that link actually shows standard 1/4" unbalanced cable. Although it is called TRS in the title, I think it's incorrectly labeled- should be called TS, no?. I typed "balanced cable" in the search field and was able to locate true TRS cable, though.

Thirdrate- Fullcompass does have a great selection and good prices!

Thought I'd tried everything- "TRS", "tipped ring sleeve", "1/4 TRS" etc. Never occured to me to try "balanced cable". DUH! Thanks.

ap -

You're right. The picture shows a TS connection, but the description is TRS. I don't know which one you'd get if you actually bought it. :)

Glad to hear you found it ok anyway. As I said, I think you'll find that most music stores carry these. I've bought them in Guitar Center before, and also ordered them online (an 8-cable TRS snake from Mars Music).

Back