Let's make a list: Hardware / Software only compatible with Win 98 or lower

richthirst

I put a post in the MIDI forum about a bit of hardware I'd just purchased, I'd got it dirt cheap because it was unsupported in Win NT or XP. I didn't care because I've resigned to stick with Win 98 because it's sturdy and my Maxi Studio ISIS does everything I want right now.

So, this got me thinking. What other pieces of software / hardware are out there that aren't compatible with the newest release of Mr Gates Loins ? This could be a nice opportune moment for the Win 98 die-hards to pick up some nice kit and at a much lower price than usual.

For example at the moment there is an entire Soundscape SSHDR1 system - the 2U unit (4 ins 2 outs), host card, Soundcape software and manuals going for £250 ($359.02) on the Sound on Sound reader ads. That system would be great for a mid priced mastering suite. BUT only because it is not compatible with anything over Win 98.

Find those bargains! Seek out those incompatibilities!

Muhahahahah!

Rich.

The Gadget Labs cards can be pretty good bargains. The company is out of business, their drivers are only good through 98 & NT4. The NT4 drivers is supposed to be compatible with 2000 but it just doesnt work.

Their Wave824 card is 8in/8out analog, 24 bit, 44.1 or 48 sample rate. Has been a very good card for me. Went for $500 new, on the web / ebay they are selling for half that or less.

Back