just ordered the m-audio total control station

minofifa

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProjectMixIO-focus.html
this thing looks pretty cool. it combines a pretty extensive DAW controller with the FW1814. I'll finally have a decent soundcard and a DAW controller, and it's an all-in-one unit, easy for transporting around. I like how it has 8 mic pres, and 16 channels of ADAT. I'll post my review when i get used to it.

one thing i'm rattled about though, it that i didn't read the fine print and now i find out that is only compatable with sonar 4.02 and higher, i'm using sonare 3.03. Hmmm maybe i'll get lucky and it will work anyways.

???
i think it looks fine. besides, i coudn't give a crap what my mixer looks like, so long as it is functional and practical.

I gotta agree with treymonfauntre on this one.
Its the first M-Audio Product in a long while that I said "Oh god that is lame" about.

-Blaze

blazingstrings said:
I gotta agree with treymonfauntre on this one.
Its the first M-Audio Product in a long while that I said "Oh god that is lame" about.

-Blaze

Why?

to each his own i guess...

I think m-audio makes great soundcards, and it is basically the firewire 1814 with a mackie control combined in one. I didn't know faders and knobs could be ugly or sexy. i guess it was never that important to me. it has all of the features i was looking for and a good price so i think it will serve me well.

by that i didn't mean the control was a mackie control or as good as a mackie control, i meant for functionality purposes...

Just found out about this unit today...

and thought I'd come out here and see if anybody had any views on it. I'm looking forward to your review minofifa. I saw where it supports SONAR which is cool but I'm wondering about Sony's Vegas? I use both and so far the Mackie Control is the only one that scores in both areas.
As far as the looks of it, I think what everybody is talking about looks-wise is that it looks like it, the Digi-002 and Mackie Control could've all come out of the same factory. I mean, where's the individuality between any of them. Compare them to something like say, an API Legacy (http://www.apiaudio.com/legacyplus.html), now THAT's sexy!!! :-D

Mike

well thanks alot jerks, i canceled my order..

haha just kidding, i canceled it because i want tethe dell 24'' widescreen monitor more. that will be sweet with the new dell laptop. maybe next year i'll get the m-audio, after some more reviews come out for it

Honestly, I've had my eye on the 1814 firewire for awhile for my home recording interface. I'm currently using a 2496 Audiophile, which I'm quite pleased with, but of course, now I'd like an interface I could use to record drums with at home.

I had been thinking an 1814 and some out-board pre-amps...this thing comes with 8 pre-amps, so that certainly seems to simplify things. But how good are they? Whether I go with this or just an 1814 would depend almost entirely on the quality of the pre-amps. I can get an 1814 for $400 or a projectmix for $1000. The control surface aspect is ENTIRELY secondary to the sound quality to me. So...are the 6 extra pre's on the project mix worth $100 apiece, or could I do better for $100/channel with outboard? That's the question.

hmmm if the control surface isnt' taht important to you, i would go with better pre's i think. i havn't heard any rave reviews of the non-tampa or non-octane pre's by m-audio (although the DMP-3 is a little work horse). You could go with the 1814, then get an ADAT 8-channel preamp like the octane, or better yet, the mackie 800R with it's sweet onxy pre's.

Robert D said:
Why?

Well first of all I think it looks just like a Re-Shaped Digi 002. :confused:
Thats lame! Now if M-audio just came out with a Control surface with no audio it would have made me go WOW!

Second I find firewire interfaces to be useless, PCI is the only thing I trust.
I will say that USB 2.0 is gaining my aproval slowly. Edirol is doing a good job in getting on to that fast.
I think the only reasons M-Audio hasent put out a couple of USB 2.0 is the fact that they put too much time into USB 1.1 interfaces and Firewire to have people buy a USB 2.0 product and ingnore there Firewire(lame :) ).
And the increasing marketing of Crapple I mean Apple Computers is pressuring them as everyone in there brother is jumping on the Apple Status band waggon, And taking it in the rear from Steve Job's I might add. :eek:

The above stated are only my opinions, and dont reflect the legons of Apple Suckers I mean users.

-Blaze :)

Back