Just a little news

Howlin

Well, good things DO come to those who bang their heads against computers. Since I've been getting so much expensive equipment to add to a room already full of gear, I've been thinking of getting a Home Security System.

While at my local cable TV office (returning a cable converter box because I sacrificed some premium channels to balance the exhorbitant price of cable internet connect [woooof-deep breath]) I registered for a free Home Security System worth $300. They picked my name out of the box! There's a monthly maintenance fee, of course, but the equipment and installation is free. (Sorry this isn't directly recording related, but recording equipment is why I want security.)

Woo and Hoo! Which way to register for a Neumann U87? :) www.neumann.com/mics/u87go_z.htm

Hey now, Dragon, how about getting Neumann to sponsor a giveaway at this site for one of them babies? That would have to be some pitch! ;)

[This message has been edited by Howlin (edited 07-13-1999).]

As to the home security issue, I think you'd be dollars ahead spending the money on insurance coverage for the gear. If a real pro (or even a half-way competent amateur) wants your stuff, they're gonna just take it and all your security system will do is notify the police that your stuff is gone. You don't need to pay for that information. I think you can figure it out visually. The fact that you were solicited for the service
on this "free giveaway" would give me pause, because now a whole new group of people know you have something worth stealing. Sorry about the cynical attitude; I was raised by an NYPD detective specializing in solving burglaries.

The security issue is a relevant point here due to the tendency of musical gear to become stolen. Has anyone here who has been in the music business at least ten years not gotten something stolen? My answer to a DIY security system is Pitbulls... They can be had for a hundred dollars or so if you shop around, and I guarentee you they are more of a theft deterrent than any "security system"
Your good fortune smells like a scam.

Please excuse my abrupt disagreement here.
Unless you want to adopt a pet of this breed
and approach it from that perspective, forget it! This is not a piece of hardware like an equalizer or a foot pedal, it is a very serious responsibility. Don't adopt any pet unless you're willing to provide the care necessary for that critter. Thank you.

Howlin, I am afraid you have fallen for one of the oldest tricks in the book, The Sweepstakes Winner. It works exactly as you describe, but what you don't know is that *everybody* who drops their card in there is told they've won.

It's not really a scam usually (I hope...I don't want to scare you but make sure the company is legit before you even let them show up at your place) but a very clever marketing trick...nobody is going to turn down a "free" thingie worth $300. And of course, the monthly charge for monitoring has a little extra tucked in and the end result is that you're paying for it over time anyway.

There are a number of perfectly legitimate security companies that now offer their systems on the same basis to anyone, just sign up for a year or two and the basic system is free. The basic system isn't usually very comprehensive though so by the time you're finished you've paid a few extra bills to cover all entrances and you're about where you would have been if you just had someone come in and wire your house from scratch.

I'm sure you've all heard of free computers now if you just sign up for Internet service for 3 years...it's essentially the same as with cellular phones except the profit margin is lower (some people *really* use cell phones a lot!). In the old days, they called that "giving away the razor and selling the blades"...

Geez, I'm usually skeptical about these things, but my head was in the clouds on this one. Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

Back