I want to turn my Laptop into a recording studio. Need advice please!!

Jose_Man

I want to turn my Laptop in a Recording studio. Need Advice!

Guyz..Need advice on turning my Laptop in a Recording Studio.

First here are my laptop features.

TOSHIBA
Pentium 4 , Proc. 1.8
60 GB. Hd
512 Ram
CD/RW
Mic input (stereo)

So...What do you recomend me to buy...

Help me with these. Tell me Wich one you think is the best.

- Recording Software ( I already have ACID 4.0 , it's really good but Name others you think are better).

- Proffesional Headphones. (These I don't have...I only have this pair of shitty Headset to play Counter-Strike with ).

- Pre - Amp (POD XT) is there another good one??

- Sound Blinkets (To keep an Isolated space..since My place is too open )..I was thinking in recording the Vocals inside my Bathroom...to keep the Accoustics...What do you think?? )

- A mic for recording Vocals & Accoustic Guitars...( I have a condenser sony Mic. It's really good, anywayss...wich one you think it's good?? ).

Is it a Bad Idea pluggin the POD to the Mic input on the laptop??...everybody says so...can you explain me why???...in simple terms please :)

Is that All I need?? TO turn my laptop in a Recording studio???

Peace
Jose.

check it

alright Jose...here it goes...

There are primarily two trust-worthy options for recording to laptop (in my opinion)

Since you are recording with a laptop, the amount of tracks recorded at any given time is greatly limited by not being able to install a soundcard. Here's the good news. USB. USB is a great technology but it is limiting compare to a PCI cable connection. The reason is: USB has a bandwidth that only accomodates up to (in laymen's terms) 4 channels going either way at any one time. So, either you run 2 channels recording and those two channels played back out of the soundcard. You can run all four in's and not monitor until you're done recording...etc. USB is really the only logical step in setting up a recording interface with A LAPTOP. There are a google-plex of options with PC or MAC recording. The two (actually three) options are:

DIGIDESIGN MBOX- This runs for around $450 and features two Neutrik-style (XLR AND 1/4")inputs with Focusrite pre-amps(good stuff), two TRS inserts, Two line-outs (stereo), headphone out- 1/8" and 1/4", 24-bit stereo SPDIF I/O, USB out and Pro Tools LE software.
M-AUDIO QUATTRO- This runs for approx. $250 and features 4 ins/4 outs, MIDI in/out, USB outs, a few other good things (can't think of them), and a version of Emagic Logic (the lite version).
M-AUDIO DUO- This sells for around $260 and features 2 Neutrik-style inputs with 48V phatom power, 2 balanced inputs, headphone out, USB out, NO MIDI.

THere are some other companies that put out products in this area, but I would trust these units over stuff from Edirol and Aardvark (these are also some of the least expensive units). What you will find is that the dividing line for which unit will come in what you want to do with it. If you want to record alot of 1/4" connections (keys, guitars, samplers, drum machines), then your best bet would be the Quattro (also has MIDI). If you intend to do some small-time "acoustic duo" type stuff, then you'll check out the MBOX or DUO.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT?

If your intention is only to record demos for your listening pleasure and for friends, then you can keep it fairly simple. If you want to get into anything semi-professional, then you shouldn't use a laptop (ha...all of this stuff is going to sound good, remember that, there really isn't any recording product that will make it sound BAD, it's how you use your software that matters)

SOFTWARE: THe MBOX and DUO offer software packages in the prices listed above. PRO TOOlS is a great program as well as LOGIC. Most of the recording programs on the market are quite simliar, just with different names. SO, what you need to look for is what YOU work best with, not what some joe-producer guy uses in his home-studio. I personally use COOL EDIT PRO 2.0, and I love it. It's a very very simple program to use and keeps all the unnecessary stuff out of the picture.

NEXT

So you've got the recording interface and software. What's next? The first thing would be mics. First mic: Shure SM57. Almost everyone you speak to will tell you this. The 57 is the workhorse of the home studio. It is a dynamic instrument mic that can work on drums, guitar amps, guitars, vocals...pretty much anything. Next mic: a condenser. A condenser is key to have because (in simple terms), its ability to capture a wide frequency range due to the large magnet and some say, the 'warmth' of the natural sound. This mic will be key for vocals. For more, check out the mic Q and A on this website. That will do more justice than my silly explanation.

You mentioned the POD XT. There are other types of the technology (behringer, johnson, korg and zoom all make versions of the POD). For your purposes, it seems that the POD XT would be a great choice for a guitar tone box. I've only worked with the POD 2.0, but i was very pleased with the tones it got out of it. Pretty much any LINE 6 amp or recording unit will give you a wide range of tones for not alot of cash.

HEAR IT! HEADPHONES are the best way to go with this small time recording (remember you can also use the speaker out on the acutal laptop, the sound just won't be as high of quality as through the soundcard. I am personally impressed with the Sony MDR 7506 cans because they have a high-output (no need for headphone amp) and they capture a very wide frequency range. They run for about $100. AKG has an industry-standard pair of headphones out, the K240M, but they have a low-output. The key with any monitoring device is not quality, it's ACCURACY! The point of monitoring is to hear what the sound actually is, as if it was being played right in front of you (out of it's respective medium). The more accurate monitoring that is used, the better sounding the recording over different applications (walkman, computer speakers, large stereo systems, boom boxes, etc.) Alot of times speaker and headphone manufacturers add this extra "bass" into the circuitry, which is how people like the sound today (lotsa bass), but it's not accurate to what the sound really is. Always go for accuracy.

Well that's about it man, hope this helps. Peace and God Bless!

Back